The Student Room Group

Bring Back Elitism

One thing on here and especially in advice given by school Careers advisors that REALLY pisses me off is the whole 'anti-elitism' bull**** people peddle these days.

The laughable claim that all universities or all courses are equally useful, respected and intellectual drives me mad. Its so WRONG when people say "choose X (**** uni) over Oxbridge/Durham/Bristol/LSE etc because the course is better" because 99% of the time, it isnt.

I think in recent years this is just symptomatic of a general trend of anti-elitism in society in general.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Who claims any of that stuff?

I don't think anyone claims that all universities and courses are equally useful, but rather than they all have a use and as such you should perhaps give something like equal thought to which and what you apply to.
Reply 2
Ploy to get more people through the doors.
Reply 3
Reply 4
DanGrover
Who claims any of that stuff?

I don't think anyone claims that all universities and courses are equally useful, but rather than they all have a use and as such you should perhaps give something like equal thought to which and what you apply to.

I think that I have heard someone claim it. Suffice to say they were a complete moron and are going to Hertfordshire or something. One of the ones north of London.

Anyway,get real, **** equality. Apply for Cambridge no matter what. It's only one of your slots.
NeverMindThat

My careers advisor was awesome, I loved her.

Me: "I WANT TO BE BATMAN!!!"
CA: "Maths, Physics, Chemistry at A Level with either Biology or a respected Arts subject alongside it"
Reply 6
Mini Monkey
I think that I have heard someone claim it. Suffice to say they were a complete moron and are going to Hertfordshire or something. One of the ones north of London.

Anyway,get real, **** equality. Apply for Cambridge no matter what. It's only one of your slots.

So only London provides a good degree then? I didn't apply for Cambridge, and given the oppertunity to do it over again - I still wouldn't. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
djmarkmclachlan
So only London provides a good degree then? I didn't apply for Cambridge, and given the oppertunity to do it over again - I still wouldn't. :rolleyes:

Thats because you are painfully mediocre (unless you mean youd rather go for Oxford)
Reply 8
NeverMindThat
Thats because you are painfully mediocre (unless you mean youd rather go for Oxford)

How so?

I'd rather not go to either. I'll have my education free of debt, thanks.
Reply 9
djmarkmclachlan

Ah, you've misread both halves of my post. :smile: I was only referring to the area directly north of London because I can't be sure that my moron is going to Herts Uni, but I do know that it is directly north of London.

And the bit about Cambridge was sarcasm.
I couldn't. Oxbridge doesn't do anything like my course, nor should it.
NMT, Of course making up crock statistics, quoting comedy programmes as some sort of 'evidence' and generally being a (k)nob is key to you convincing individuals of the strength of your argument. How intellectually forthright of you....
Reply 12
Well, it is wrong to say that lesser Universities are completely pointless but at the same time it is equally silly to believe that an ex-Poly is in any way equivalent to a Russell Group University.
Dionysus
Well, it is wrong to say that lesser Universities are completely pointless but at the same time it is equally silly to believe that an ex-Poly is in any way equivalent to a Russell Group University.

But that's just it. Change the "any" to "most" and I'd agree with you. The point is that they mostly all do have a speciality or two that they're good for, and it's often things that the Russel Group simple don't offer (and I don't just mean unneccessary things like my degree, but things like Nursing and the like).
I honestly wouldn't go to Oxbridge even if I had the chance to, seems like it'd be full of boring ****s. Four years rooming with a guy who collects fungi and wont stop quoting monty python. and getting a drunken handjob off some fat bookish girl are the images that come to mind for some reason.

I prefer diversity and character over elitism
Reply 15
i am a duck
I honestly wouldn't go to Oxbridge even if I had the chance to, seems like it'd be full of boring ****s. Four years rooming with a guy who collects fungi and wont stop quoting monty python. and getting a drunken handjob off some fat bookish girl are the images that come to mind for some reason.

I prefer diversity and character over elitism

Really? I prefer open-mindedness and magnanimity to boorish, bigoted, stereotypic inverse-snobbery.

Personally, I never had the work-ethic for Bristol, let alone Cambridge; but I don't begrudge those that do.
Parts of this thread are coming across as quite mean, so I'm not sure I agree with the tone... but does anyone else think there should be fewer places on some courses? I'm not saying there shouldn't be places at all, but there does seem to be an inordinate number of people on some courses when you look at the likelihood of those people actually getting a related job.

I think there's a woeful lack of careers advice that actually prompts you to think about what you're going to do with your degree - most just seems to simply focus on the degree itself.
Profesh
Really? I prefer open-mindedness and magnanimity to boorish, bigoted, stereotypic inverse-snobbery.

Personally, I never had the work-ethic for Bristol, let alone Cambridge; but I don't begrudge those that do.

Well, it was a half joke but having looked at student profiles on their website and reading posts from people who go or want to go on here, it just seems to be full of "nerds", sorry if that's too boorish or close minded, I just can't be bothered to word it any other way
Reply 18
i am a duck
Well, it was a half joke but having looked at student profiles on their website and reading posts from people who go or want to go on here, it just seems to be full of "nerds", sorry if that's too boorish or close minded, I just can't be bothered to word it any other way

It's really not.

You obviously get some, but most aren't.
Dionysus

I know, I know. :frown: :banghead:

Latest

Trending

Trending