What do you think of Childish Gambino's new song?

Watch
Unknown-99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

Is there anything Donald Glover can't do? This is how you make a statement.
bean101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s good, not exactly redbone good though but don’t think anything gets to that tier :P
confused98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think I’m slightly obsessed with it, especially the video - so many layers lol. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched it.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
(Original post by confused98)
I think I’m slightly obsessed with it, especially the video - so many layers lol. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched it.
Me too. It's a completely different song when you watch the video compared to just listening to it.
confused98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There’s so many different themes and the contrast of the song/dancing/imagery...
I feel like I could write a damn thesis!
So Instinct
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A talented man. But I've grown a little tired of political/social commentary.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
(Original post by confused98)
There’s so many different themes and the contrast of the song/dancing/imagery...
I feel like I could write a damn thesis!
I know right. I love Donald Glover his art has so much meaning and he isn't afraid to say the truth even if people don't want to hear the truth.
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
(Original post by So Instinct)
Yeah I'm usually not a fan of celebrities making political statements but when it's done like this I think it's perfect.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Unknown-99)

Is there anything Donald Glover can't do? This is how you make a statement.
I think it's Childish
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
I think it's Childish
Well, like he said himself in his song Bonfire, "This rap is child's play I do my name like Princess Di."
confused98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hmm. Care to expand?
huncho jack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's an excellent song. Very catchy with relevant social commentary. I love how there's ad libs from so many people from 21 savage to Frank Ocean
huncho jack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's really not a lot of it actually. Besides, what else you want? ****ing *****es?
So Instinct
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by huncho jack)
There's really not a lot of it actually. Besides, what else you want? ****ing *****es?
There's plenty of topics outside social commentary and sex. You only have to check his other songs to find that out.
huncho jack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's plenty of topics outside social commentary and sex. You only have to check his other songs to find that out.
Well, I mean, you've said it yourself.

In America, it is a particularly strained period of time where social commentary is more relevant than ever. And as ive said, it's not been done as much as you say
So Instinct
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by huncho jack)
Well, I mean, you've said it yourself.

In America, it is a particularly strained period of time where social commentary is more relevant than ever. And as ive said, it's not been done as much as you say
Unfortunately, you saying it hadn't been done much doesn't actually mean it hasn't been done much.

I can recall plenty of other times social commentary has been just as relevant if not more.

I'll just hold out for a topic that hasn't been rinsed over the past year or so.
folieadeux
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve been a Gambino fan since before AML came out so I was very happy to wake up to this. The song alone freakin SLAPS, but watching the video and listening properly to the lyrics truly elevates it. I’m always fascinated to hear about his opinions on current issues, and I feel this song encapsulates a lot of that. I got a ticket to see him on tour during my year abroad, and knowing that this is the path he’s taking with his new music means that I am beyond excited for the show.
huncho jack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unfortunately, you saying it hadn't been done much doesn't actually mean it hasn't been done much.

I can recall plenty of other times social commentary has been just as relevant if not more.

I'll just hold out for a topic that hasn't been rinsed over the past year or so.
And unfortunately, it's natural that when something is currently relevant, it'll be addressed.

You can argue that it's been done but "rinsed" is complete nonsense.
username3942526
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its a really powerful video. I love his music.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
18.03%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed