The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Duac burnt my skin

I have been using duac for just over a week now but today, being a very sunny day, I woke up with it on and didn't bother washing my face. I went on with my business around the house and when I went to wash my face was horrified that the places I used Duac on are a lot darker than my natural skin tone around my face.PLEASE PLEASE anyone who knows who to treat this kind of dark burn, please help. I am trying not to panic
Reply 1
Ask your doctor, they probably have some sort of medicine to cool and heal the burns. I wouldn't risk home remedies, remember it's not just a normal burn - its a chemical burn so you should see a doctor ASAP
Are you sure it's a burn? I looked up duac side effects and it lists skin dryness, redness, irritation and itching. I find it unlikely that it would have caused a burn.
Advice for treating a chemical burn would be to rinse it under water for 20 minutes but this would have little effect several hours later. Maybe avoid using Duac and check with your GP if you're worried? :smile:
Original post by 2007PSanHa
Are you sure it's a burn? I looked up duac side effects and it lists skin dryness, redness, irritation and itching. I find it unlikely that it would have caused a burn.
Advice for treating a chemical burn would be to rinse it under water for 20 minutes but this would have little effect several hours later. Maybe avoid using Duac and check with your GP if you're worried? :smile:

Well I'm a caramel/mixed race tone and now theres a part of my cheeks which is like a shade darker because it was exposed to the sun. dont know as to what that's classed as ?? I've looked online and aloe vera gel and lemon juice seems to be the solution for these dark marks. Praying it works!
Original post by dunyasimoes
I have been using duac for just over a week now but today, being a very sunny day, I woke up with it on and didn't bother washing my face. I went on with my business around the house and when I went to wash my face was horrified that the places I used Duac on are a lot darker than my natural skin tone around my face.PLEASE PLEASE anyone who knows who to treat this kind of dark burn, please help. I am trying not to panic

yeah duac burnt my skin really bad, make sure you wash it off as soon as you wake up because sun light really ****s up your skin
Hi, ino this is an old thread but the same thing happened to me and now the perimeter of my face is darker than my natural skin tone and I was wondering what you did to reverse these affects :frown:
Original post by anongirl00
Hi, ino this is an old thread but the same thing happened to me and now the perimeter of my face is darker than my natural skin tone and I was wondering what you did to reverse these affects :frown:

Hi! I'm sorry for the late response - just logged in after a while! So my top tip would be Aloe Vera, Aloe Vera and Aloe Vera gel! I get the 100% pure one from Holland and Barrett (I will attach a link) and this really helped me at the time. I spread it like it was a face cream with a fairly thick layer (not too thick). I stopped using Duac for a long while until this cleared up and would use the aloe vera gel nightly. Sometimes, I would also dab lemon juice, was it off and then apply the gel but I would only do this up to two times a week bc it is quite strong (but PLEASE careful to not catch sunlight!). It worked for me, I really hope it does for you too! And please use sunscreen every day too especially as the sun is coming out more (I still do and don't use Duac anymore bc of my acne scars), even if you are a POC (still recommended for us to!). Update me on how it goes :smile:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-aloe-vera-gel-60002672 https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-aloe-vera-gel-60033725
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi! I'm sorry for the late response - just logged in after a while! So my top tip would be Aloe Vera, Aloe Vera and Aloe Vera gel! I get the 100% pure one from Holland and Barrett (I will attach a link) and this really helped me at the time. I spread it like it was a face cream with a fairly thick layer (not too thick). I stopped using Duac for a long while until this cleared up and would use the aloe vera gel nightly. Sometimes, I would also dab lemon juice, was it off and then apply the gel but I would only do this up to two times a week bc it is quite strong (but PLEASE careful to not catch sunlight!). It worked for me, I really hope it does for you too! And please use sunscreen every day too especially as the sun is coming out more (I still do and don't use Duac anymore bc of my acne scars), even if you are a POC (still recommended for us to!). Update me on how it goes :smile:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-aloe-vera-gel-60002672 https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-aloe-vera-gel-60033725

Hi again! thank you so much for getting back to me. I stopped using the Duac as i only used it once and got an allergic reaction unfortunately, my whole face was swollen. Its gradually lightening up but still abit noticeable. I’m slathering on Aloe Vera gel as we speak lol. And this incident has really taught me the importance of sunscreen as a POC, I’m ashamed to admit I didn’t think i needed it before! Anyways thanks again and i’ll update you when the aloe vera works.
Original post by anongirl00
Hi again! thank you so much for getting back to me. I stopped using the Duac as i only used it once and got an allergic reaction unfortunately, my whole face was swollen. Its gradually lightening up but still abit noticeable. I’m slathering on Aloe Vera gel as we speak lol. And this incident has really taught me the importance of sunscreen as a POC, I’m ashamed to admit I didn’t think i needed it before! Anyways thanks again and i’ll update you when the aloe vera works.

Great, look forward to hearing from you! Good luck with any exams you may have x
I mean my Gp told me to apply it before bed then it’s crucial I washed it off in the morning I thought that would be common sense lol? reason for putting creams on at night is because you’re in your room or whatever where nobody can see you so why would anyone wake up with creams on their face and just leave it on? Nearly every acne cream or antibiotic has things about being out in sun or leaving it on too long and duac even tells you :

“DUAC GEL can make your skin more sensitive to the harmful effects of the sun. Avoid
the use of sunbeds/lamps and minimise the time you spend in the sun. You should use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing while using DUAC”

And goes onto explain like most skin treatments about not using too much of the cream and to not leave it on for long periods of time, sadly it’s hard to see exactly what your issue is but it doesn’t sound anything bad your GP will most likely make you stop and give you something else to fix that or refer you to a dermatologist but not to be harsh but if your GP etc can’t trust you to put a simple cream on your face how they going to trust you with antibiotics or something like accutane or a cream thats 5 times stronger than Duac?
Original post by Teddy650123
I mean my Gp told me to apply it before bed then it’s crucial I washed it off in the morning I thought that would be common sense lol? reason for putting creams on at night is because you’re in your room or whatever where nobody can see you so why would anyone wake up with creams on their face and just leave it on? Nearly every acne cream or antibiotic has things about being out in sun or leaving it on too long and duac even tells you :

“DUAC GEL can make your skin more sensitive to the harmful effects of the sun. Avoid
the use of sunbeds/lamps and minimise the time you spend in the sun. You should use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing while using DUAC”

And goes onto explain like most skin treatments about not using too much of the cream and to not leave it on for long periods of time, sadly it’s hard to see exactly what your issue is but it doesn’t sound anything bad your GP will most likely make you stop and give you something else to fix that or refer you to a dermatologist but not to be harsh but if your GP etc can’t trust you to put a simple cream on your face how they going to trust you with antibiotics or something like accutane or a cream thats 5 times stronger than Duac?

ahahaha, you did sound harsh to be honest! I completely agree, it was an honest mistake (three years ago now) and I simply forgot to wash it off - fortunately, I managed to get my complexion back with aloe vera gel :smile:
I don't know if you would have any advice but I suffer from really bad hyperpigmentation all over my face, chest and back from acne for well over 6 years. My dermatologist said that he can't do anything as it would be classified as cosmetic; do you know of anything that could help?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if you would have any advice but I suffer from really bad hyperpigmentation all over my face, chest and back from acne for well over 6 years. My dermatologist said that he can't do anything as it would be classified as cosmetic; do you know of anything that could help?

hey, I really feel you, I know how annoying that is. I have lots of dark spots on my face from acne and currently struggling with hyperpigmentation from catching Impetigo a month ago... it sucks! :frown:

I'm currently resorting to Aloe Vera gel again to see if it helps me with my PIH from the Impetigo. I'm hesitant to use the lemon juice, at least for now because the skin is sensitive. I really like Aloe Vera gel and find that it does help even my skin tone and brighten it up - only thing is, it takes a while and is a gradual process and is not a quick-fix solution. But then again, I'm sceptical of anything that claims to be quick-fix for skin.

Chemical peels are really good for PIH and acne scars - I did one a year ago and saw a difference. My mum does them regularly and I definitely think there's a notable improvement. Just make sure you do them somewhere reputable because a YouTuber was detailing how she got burnt from a peel. They're expensive but seem worth it. I will definitely start doing them once my skin heals more from Impetigo.

I am currently using this dark spots serum - https://www.boots.com/it-cosmetics-bye-bye-dark-spots-niacinamide-serum-10300047?cm_mmc=bmm-buk-google-ppc-_-PLAs-_-Premium_Beauty-_-UK_Smart_Shopping_Premium_Beauty_Google&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoNWOBhCwARIsAAiHnEhIYbKrxZ8F9XGQaG2iIx2u_e0WxhCD5ixa1z24lbxOBPaBLM2BCcgaAidCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Reviews are great and it *seems* to work/reduce discolouration - website says that treatment takes 8 weeks though so can update you in a month and a bit how that worked for me!

Let me know if you have any tips yourself! x

Also, I don't suppose you know of any concealer/foundations that properly cover hyperpigmentation and dark spots? The Impetigo was around my nose and the darkness is making me very insecure tbh :/
Also, I don't suppose you know of any concealer/foundations that properly cover hyperpigmentation and dark spots? The Impetigo was around my nose and the darkness is making me very insecure tbh :/

Well, I use the elf hydrating camo concealer because it's the only one that comes in a shade that suits my skin tone! I've splashed out on so many other brands after doing colour matching and the works but they always seem to pick up my hyperpigmentation and give me a much darker shade! :frown:

There's a trick I learnt to help with coverage which I think can work with most brands of concealer, though the elf camo concealers have pretty good coverage already. You dap the concealer onto the areas you want to cover but not loads and leave it like that for like 3-5 minutes (I usually do mascara and eyeliner in that time lol) and then using a light hand, tab out and blend the concealer. Works like a charm! Make sure your face is moisturised before though or else it can look flaky - especially the elf 16hr camo concealer (this one has much higher coverage, is matte and dries fairly quickly). Then to make sure it all stays that way you've got to set it - I usually use a translucent setting powder with a brush for this! Hope it helps! :biggrin:
I did see some improvement from using a vitamin c serum as it helps promote cell turnover and I also used a retinol serum. I think I'm going to get the small bottle of Paula's choice exfoliator and try that out as at the moment I've got a lot of dry skin, blackheads and large pores at the moment :frown: I think the only thing that really helps with PIH really is using vitamin c products and suncream!!!

It's honestly so frustrating I can't meet people for the first time without wearing makeup now as I feel so insecure. I used to not wear any makeup albeit some eye makeup at secondary as everyone already knew I had hyperpigmentation... but not at uni I can't go in unless I have makeup on or else I feel disgusting
Well, I use the elf hydrating camo concealer because it's the only one that comes in a shade that suits my skin tone! I've splashed out on so many other brands after doing colour matching and the works but they always seem to pick up my hyperpigmentation and give me a much darker shade! :frown:

There's a trick I learnt to help with coverage which I think can work with most brands of concealer, though the elf camo concealers have pretty good coverage already. You dap the concealer onto the areas you want to cover but not loads and leave it like that for like 3-5 minutes (I usually do mascara and eyeliner in that time lol) and then using a light hand, tab out and blend the concealer. Works like a charm! Make sure your face is moisturised before though or else it can look flaky - especially the elf 16hr camo concealer (this one has much higher coverage, is matte and dries fairly quickly). Then to make sure it all stays that way you've got to set it - I usually use a translucent setting powder with a brush for this! Hope it helps! :biggrin:

Honestly, thank you so so much hun - this is great help! I have been using a stick concealer from Kiko but it doesn't properly conceal the Impetigo hyperpigmentation and I feel so insecure going back to uni next week with it, like you said. I have been asking friends for recommendations but they have all just said Collection Lasting Perfection which doesn't have much shade range... defo going to pop to Superdrug to have a look at the Elf concealers -really hope it works, I'm excited!

Do you use foundation? I don't as I am scared it will make me breakout... I recently saw a YouTuber recommending the Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser as a lightweight 'foundation' and thinking of giving it a go, using it before concealer. https://www.boots.com/laura-mercier-tinted-moisturiser-natural-skin-perfector-spf30-10286344
Thank you so so much for the tip! Will make sure to do that - any recommendation on the setting powder?

Drop here!
I did see some improvement from using a vitamin c serum as it helps promote cell turnover and I also used a retinol serum. I think I'm going to get the small bottle of Paula's choice exfoliator and try that out as at the moment I've got a lot of dry skin, blackheads and large pores at the moment :frown: I think the only thing that really helps with PIH really is using vitamin c products and suncream!!!

It's honestly so frustrating I can't meet people for the first time without wearing makeup now as I feel so insecure. I used to not wear any makeup albeit some eye makeup at secondary as everyone already knew I had hyperpigmentation... but not at uni I can't go in unless I have makeup on or else I feel disgusting

Okay! If I dont see major improvement with my current serum, I will definitely try out a vitamic c serum!

I use Paula's Choice BHA exfoliant once a week along with a clay mask and my usual skincare products - I LOVE it, I think it has been one of my best buys. I think it has made a difference on my skin build-up. Aveeno is supposed to be really good for dry skin? Also, Aloe Vera gel really hydrates my skin.

Do you get blackhead extractions done at your local salon? I try to every 1-2 months but can be pricey on student budget! Ugh, the frustrations of bad skin!

I also discovered something called Azelaic Acid - it is supposed to help with blackheads and hyperpigmentation along with general acne. I stumbled upon it during some skincare research. Look into it, you can get it prescribed through your GP

Also, not to sound completely patronising as I also get these comments all the time, but you are beautiful always and one day (!!) we will get through this and boast about our skin (she types hoping it becomes true sooner rather than later).

Latest