Struggling at GCSE Computing Watch

redblackwhite
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
As you can see by the title, I'm having a few problems. My whole life I have loved technology and computers and my life has revolved around them. I spend hours every day on my computer and playing video games and my knowledge in this area is very high above average, I'd guess. Thing is though, I seem to struggle with GCSE Computing/Computer Science. I always pay attention in the lesson and get the work done - I've pretty much always found it generally easy. I'll be honest and say I haven't done LOADS of revision but that is because of the fact I have other subjects to study for as well as doing my own things outside of school. Anyways, like I was saying, I seem to struggle and I have no idea why... On my last mock exam for this subject, which was in Jan/Feb, I got a level 3. Some of it will come down to the fact I was tired and wasn't "half-arsed" about that exam but I still tried to do what I could. I'm just rambling on now but if anyone here has some sort of solution or idea please let me know. I probably should have done this weeks ago as my exams start in a week but it's a bit too late for that. Thanks for you help.
fentydrug
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by redblackwhite)
As you can see by the title, I'm having a few problems. My whole life I have loved technology and computers and my life has revolved around them. I spend hours every day on my computer and playing video games and my knowledge in this area is very high above average, I'd guess. Thing is though, I seem to struggle with GCSE Computing/Computer Science. I always pay attention in the lesson and get the work done - I've pretty much always found it generally easy. I'll be honest and say I haven't done LOADS of revision but that is because of the fact I have other subjects to study for as well as doing my own things outside of school. Anyways, like I was saying, I seem to struggle and I have no idea why... On my last mock exam for this subject, which was in Jan/Feb, I got a level 3. Some of it will come down to the fact I was tired and wasn't "half-arsed" about that exam but I still tried to do what I could. I'm just rambling on now but if anyone here has some sort of solution or idea please let me know. I probably should have done this weeks ago as my exams start in a week but it's a bit too late for that. Thanks for you help.
What other things do you do outside of school
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by fentydrug)
What other things do you do outside of school
Most of the time I spend indoors playing video games and messing about on my computer like I said. Other than that, I sometimes go out with friends but it's really boring, to be honest. I've always played football for my local team but that just ended. That's pretty much it. Why?
DavMax15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I did GCSE Comp Sci and I’m about to do my A-Level. Doing well in Comp Sci at GCSE is basically memorization. It’s really boring but I just made notes on each page of the textbook and re-read them over and over again and got an A*. That was on the old-spec though so it may be different now.
The things you learn playing video games about computers rarely come up in the exams, especially at A-Level so don’t worry if you’re not naturally good. Aside from the programming, not many are really naturally good at Comp Sci at GCSE or A-Level. Learning the theory is all about the effort that you put in.
Iahmed512
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm good at paper 1 but rubbish at paper 2.
Paper 1, is just about remembering information and sometimes applying it, if you know the information and word it right you will get the marks.
Paper 2 however is based a lot less on memory, but actual understanding, you have to know algorithms, programming, pseudocode, flow Diagrams, the only way to get better in the time left is to teach it to yourself using books or YouTube and do practice and ask your teachers for help.
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by DavMax15)
I did GCSE Comp Sci and I’m about to do my A-Level. Doing well in Comp Sci at GCSE is basically memorization. It’s really boring but I just made notes on each page of the textbook and re-read them over and over again and got an A*. That was on the old-spec though so it may be different now.
The things you learn playing video games about computers rarely come up in the exams, especially at A-Level so don’t worry if you’re not naturally good. Aside from the programming, not many are really naturally good at Comp Sci at GCSE or A-Level. Learning the theory is all about the effort that you put in.
Thanks for the tips. I have the revision book and have written a few notes but I get extremely bored, lose focus and never really remember it.
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iahmed512)
I'm good at paper 1 but rubbish at paper 2.
Paper 1, is just about remembering information and sometimes applying it, if you know the information and word it right you will get the marks.
Paper 2 however is based a lot less on memory, but actual understanding, you have to know algorithms, programming, pseudocode, flow Diagrams, the only way to get better in the time left is to teach it to yourself using books or YouTube and do practice and ask your teachers for help.
Yeah. I'm alright with pseudocode and flow charts. I think it's just paper 1 that I am terrible at.
DavMax15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thanks for the tips. I have the revision book and have written a few notes but I get extremely bored, lose focus and never really remember it.
Yep, it’s hellishly boring. Don’t know why I took it at A-Level tbh.
Iahmed512
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeah. I'm alright with pseudocode and flow charts. I think it's just paper 1 that I am terrible at.
In that case it's going to be a lot easier, just learn all the information, use flashcards, mind maps, posters, YouTube, revision guides, etc
After that do lots of practice questions, and do practice papers.

I terrible at paper 2, but great at paper 1.
bryan drozario
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
watch craigndave on youtube and make notes. then answer exam questions from a workbook.
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by DavMax15)
Yep, it’s hellishly boring. Don’t know why I took it at A-Level tbh.
Yeah, I'm going to be going to college to do a Level 3 Diploma in Games Development so I kinda need to get a good level in this subject or I feel they will disapprove me and not accept me on to the course, although I should meet the general requirements which are to pass 5 GCSEs including Maths and English which I think I should do easily.
CommandoM1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
We're basically the same person, I relate to everything you have written. Got a level 3 in my mock and am very worried I won't pass Computing as I want to do Computer Science at A-Level. I have now got a tutor to try and bump my grade up as I need a 6 to get into it at A-Level. It's not too late to get a tutor or revise in my opinion. Just focus on what you NEED to get in order to get into your sixth form/college of choice, as long as you get the 5 or 6 passes, you're good. Saying that, I am meant to be revising right now and started to ramble so I'm gonna stop writing and try to get on with some work. Good luck OP.
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iahmed512)
In that case it's going to be a lot easier, just learn all the information, use flashcards, mind maps, posters, YouTube, revision guides, etc
After that do lots of practice questions, and do practice papers.

I terrible at paper 2, but great at paper 1.
I'll try my best to see what I can do.
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by HALLEitzMeSam)
watch craigndave on youtube and make notes. then answer exam questions from a workbook.
I'll give it a shot, thanks man.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsB...Rg-vQASN2ZeHwg
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by CommandoM1)
We're basically the same person, I relate to everything you have written. Got a level 3 in my mock and am very worried I won't pass Computing as I want to do Computer Science at A-Level. I have now got a tutor to try and bump my grade up as I need a 6 to get into it at A-Level. It's not too late to get a tutor or revise in my opinion. Just focus on what you NEED to get in order to get into your sixth form/college of choice, as long as you get the 5 or 6 passes, you're good. Saying that, I am meant to be revising right now and started to ramble so I'm gonna stop writing and try to get on with some work. Good luck OP.
Yeah, definitely. I just mentioned this in another reply but I'm going to do a college course which is related to computer science so I feel I have to show I can do well in this area or they won't accept me although I will meet the requirements as this isn't one of them. Good luck with your revision.
DavMax15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeah, I'm going to be going to college to do a Level 3 Diploma in Games Development so I kinda need to get a good level in this subject or I feel they will disapprove me and not accept me on to the course, although I should meet the general requirements which are to pass 5 GCSEs including Maths and English which I think I should do easily.
I don’t know about your college but at uni level, you don’t even need A-Level Comp-Sci to do it at degree level. I know your situation is different, but I wouldn’t worry too much if you don’t do well. I’m sure Games Development will be more about the coding anyway rather than the theory.
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
Looks like I really helpful channel. I'll definitely be sure to give it a go. Thanks a bunch.
Iahmed512
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by HALLEitzMeSam)
Yeah itvs quite good when you don't have good notes on something, itvs detailed enough but still condensed enough to take good notes.
redblackwhite
Rep:
?
Took your advice and have watched a few of the videos on that guys channel. Seems to be working quite well. Thanks. 😊

Name:  20180507_210706-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 50
Size:  41.8 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (34)
9.26%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.62%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (41)
11.17%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.7%

Watched Threads