Cloudnet virus on Safari

Watch
justzoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm in... a lot of trouble.

So, usually, I'll use sites like onlinevideoconverter or telecharger to download videos/music from YouTube. Today, my Mum asked me to download a video for her so she could put it on a powerpoint for work and the usual site wasn't working.

This was on my parents' iMac without any anti-malware or adblocker stuff. Suddenly the screen froze and multiple pop-ups started running. Got lots of requests to print screen and whenever I shut them down (me panicking and taking over), new windows just popped up. In the end, I shut down the application. Now, Mum's just doing her work on Google Chrome (priorities) and the plan right now is just not to open Safari again, but not sure if that'll work long term. I mean, what if someone clicks a link on an email and it opens it up in Safari?

The thing is, neither of us accepted a download of anything. At least, I definitely didn't. I'm worried my Mum might have clicked something.... but I did check downloads and there was nothing there. I just don't understand how this could've happened, and what damage it could do. It's posing as an Apple support page, and it keeps prompting to press 'okay' etc. and cloudnet is in the address.

Any advice on how to fix this mess? I feel so bad. All my parent's work is on there, I never should have clicked on that site (or any) to download the video.
justzoe
Rep:
?
Thank you for the reply.

I understand that happens, but the two times I've opened Safari, a dozen windows pop up which I literally cannot close. The only way to get them off my screen is to just force quit the application. That's never happened to me before. Before, I might've been able to shut down the original window, but it doesn't work here - it won't quit. And it loads too quickly for me to shut it down before all of the pop-ups appear. It also could be connected to the printer as every window asks to print the screen, and the printer is now not printing any other stuff.

I'm trying to convince my Dad to download malwarebites (which works well on my own computer) but he's paranoid now and doesn't want anything on there. And that's true, sigh, that was just what came to mind when she asked to get the video without having to go on YouTube during the presentation.
justzoe
Rep:
?
I'll talk to him about Norton, and in the meanwhile see how I might uninstall Safari. Thank you for the advice!
justzoe
Rep:
?
Yay, I sneakily downloaded malware bytes and it wiped the malware/virus/whatever it was clean. just reopened Safari and messed about a bit and all seems to be back to normal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (83)
26.1%
England (108)
33.96%
Belgium (27)
8.49%
Germany (38)
11.95%
Spain (5)
1.57%