The Student Room Group

Path difference? question

Two aerials are 2.50m apart, and both are receiving the same radio signal with a frequency of 125MHz. The phase difference between them is measured as 114∘.
Calculate the path difference between the two aerials.

The aerial which receives the radio signal first is directly North of the one which receives the signal slightly later. What are the possible bearings of the transmitter from the receiving aerials? You may assume that the transmitter is many kilometres from the receiving aerials, and therefore that the path of the waves travelling to the two receivers are effectively parallel when measured in the vicinity of the receiving aerials. Give your answer to 3 significant figures.

This is a question from
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/ch_d_p3?board=physicsskills_book_ch_d3

I know how to calculate the path difference (I got 0.76m) but it's the second part that I'm struggling with
Original post by vglmorire
Two aerials are 2.50m apart, and both are receiving the same radio signal with a frequency of 125MHz. The phase difference between them is measured as 114∘.

The aerial which receives the radio signal first is directly North of the one which receives the signal slightly later. What are the possible bearings of the transmitter from the receiving aerials? You may assume that the transmitter is many kilometres from the receiving aerials, and therefore that the path of the waves travelling to the two receivers are effectively parallel when measured in the vicinity of the receiving aerials. Give your answer to 3 significant figures.

This is a question from

I know how to calculate the path difference (I got 0.76m) but it's the second part that I'm struggling with

If I could even do AS physics I would help
Reply 3

THANK YOU SO MUCH this question was making me so frustrated but i was drawing the wave-front wrong the whole time
Reply 4
Original post by kishxx01

plot twist (not really) but this IS AS physics lol
Reply 5
Original post by kishxx01

Can you stop ignoring meeeeeeee
Attached is the method that my teacher used to explain it to me as I was really confused about it too.
The answer to part a is 0.760 m and part B is 288 degrees.
I hope that helps.

Original post by vglmorire

This is a question from

Reply 7
0.76m

Latest