B1379 - Sexual activity with animals bill 2018 Watch

This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1379 - Sexual activity with animals bill 2018, Joecphillips, seconded by Connor27

A
BILL TO
Legalise sex with animals.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Repeal
(1) Section 69 of the sexual offences act is hereby repealed

2- Citation and commencement
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Sexual Activity With Animals Act 2018

Notes:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/69
The state should have no place in restricting anyone's sex life because they disagree with it.

Posted By SpeakerBot
Report an issue | Suggest a feature
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
wtf...
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Neigh.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Animals can't consent, so No. Would love to hear the reasoning behind this bill and why it is required. It's arguably being ideological just for the sake of it
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Animals do not have rights, rights only apply to humans not beasts.

Aye.

(For the record I find the act of bestiality disgusting on a personal level but I don’t see why it shouldn’t be permissible when thinking in a cold and logical manner.)
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Neigh.
God damn it, such a pawful joke xD
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
There was a time when I would have opposed this out right. However recently I have come around to the school of thought that said it should not be up to the state to decide the morals of an individual.

The argument of consent is a ridiculous one unless you are a vegan.

I need to think about this some more.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
So Labour's put up a serious bill to improve rail services in Great Britain tonight, and the other bill that's gone up is this...

I've been enthusiastic about submitting a similar bill as a St David's Day joke, but not (what I presume is) seriously.
Lumos_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Animals do not have rights, rights only apply to humans not beasts.

Aye.

(For the record I find the act of bestiality disgusting on a personal level but I don’t see why it shouldn’t be permissible when thinking in a cold and logical manner.)
not according to law and people who exhibit basic empathy....

obviously a nay, animals CANNOT consent
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Lumos_)
not according to law and people who exhibit basic empathy....

obviously a nay, animals CANNOT consent
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Animals can't consent, so No. Would love to hear the reasoning behind this bill and why it is required. It's arguably being ideological just for the sake of it
Animals also can’t consent to living with you should we ban pet ownership?
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Tommy1boy)
The argument of consent is a ridiculous one unless you are a vegan.
How have you arrived at that conclusion? Consent within the context of sexual relationships is absolute, as the law clearly outlines it as a legal necessity for any and all sexual practices to occur. Just because consent may be lacking in other irrelevant areas of life doesn't provide us with carte blanche to go and do whatever we want.

For example, I never consented to go to school when I was legally required to do so. By the same principle, consent didn't matter in that scenario so why should it matter when it comes to sex and all other scenarios? The two are so fundamentally disconnected that they cannot be measured in a similar way. The consumption of other animals is something which is needed for our own survival, and it will always occur without consent due to the consumed also having an instinct to survive, so I am not sure what you're trying to accomplish by arguing that sexual consent only works if consent is a standard given across every other aspect of our lives.

The law as currently written requires all sexual activities to occur with consent. If this was to pass, we would see the emergence of a category of sexual activities which can actually occur without consent being a necessity, and I don't think I need to point out the other categories of sexual subcultures who could make the same arguments to justify why their desires and morality should be legally permissible.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Nay- I hope this is a joke bill
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by LibertarianMP)
Nay- I hope this is a joke bill
Your name and your voting record doesn’t seem to match
Lumos_
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Joep95)
Animals also can’t consent to living with you should we ban pet ownership?
pet ownership is not the same as forced sexual intercourse which is potentially painful - what you said is a complete false equivalence
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
pet ownership is not the same as forced sexual intercourse which is potentially painful - what you said is a complete false equivalence
Yes forcibly caging and plenty other things that happen to animals are completely harmless
Lumos_
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes forcibly caging and plenty other things that happen to animals are completely harmless
forcibly caging animals should be illegal also; just because 'plenty' of other things that are bad happen to animals doesn't justify this legislation.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
forcibly caging animals should be illegal also; just because 'plenty' of other things that are bad happen to animals doesn't justify this legislation.
So that rules out plenty of pets such as birds and snakes and plenty of others, if consent is a thing with animals then how can anyone own them without their consent?
Lumos_
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
So that rules out plenty of pets such as birds and snakes and plenty of others, if consent is a thing with animals then how can anyone own them without their consent?
If I had it my way the exotic pet trade would be limited to people who were able to keep them in conditions as similar as possible to their natural environment and only domesticated animals could be kept as pets without much oversight - yet I’m not oblivious to the fact that this would be an unpopular policy, albeit a more consistent one (which you have pointed out). Such a policy as legalising zoophilia should be lumped into the same pile as caging birds for prolonged periods of time and should be banned.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
In terms of a purely pragmatic reason to oppose this for those who feel they need one, this legislation would be a public health issue by aiding the transmission of diseases from animals into the wider human population. Bestiality can also cause very severe issues for the human taking part due to the body rejecting foreign substances, potentially causing fatal allergic reactions. There is a very, very good reason it doesn't tend to happen in nature and is extraordinarily uncommon in humans.
BitMel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why would someone even want this to be legal??? im so confused lol
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads