The Student Room Group

LSE or University of Bristol - International Relations Postgrad

Hey,

So I applied for various postgraduate programmes in IR to start this September and luckily I got all my offers but now I'm stuck with decided where to go.

I've narrowed it down to two: either LSE's International Relations Theory MSc or The University of Bristol's International Law and International Relations LLM. And I have no idea which one to pick so I was wondering if anyone had any advice, has done either of these courses, done postgraduate study here or just known of anyone who has been to either place or done these courses?

I know LSE is one of the best universities in the world for IR but the theory course was my second choice and I don't know if employers would care that it was a theory course and not the standard IR course (considering I want to work for an international organisation, NGO or the diplomatic service - basically something in international affairs) - personally, I don't really mind that it is a theory course because the only difference is the core module and IR is generally theory-heavy anyway, but it's what employers might think.

Also Bristol has a completely different kind of qualification but at the same time, whilst being a well-respect uni, it isn't as good for IR.

I can't tell if I'm being deterred from picking LSE because it's London or if I'm only thinking it is the better place to go because of its reputation - so I am just stuck.

Any help?
Original post by Heatherdaniel13
Hey,

So I applied for various postgraduate programmes in IR to start this September and luckily I got all my offers but now I'm stuck with decided where to go.

I've narrowed it down to two: either LSE's International Relations Theory MSc or The University of Bristol's International Law and International Relations LLM. And I have no idea which one to pick so I was wondering if anyone had any advice, has done either of these courses, done postgraduate study here or just known of anyone who has been to either place or done these courses?

I know LSE is one of the best universities in the world for IR but the theory course was my second choice and I don't know if employers would care that it was a theory course and not the standard IR course (considering I want to work for an international organisation, NGO or the diplomatic service - basically something in international affairs) - personally, I don't really mind that it is a theory course because the only difference is the core module and IR is generally theory-heavy anyway, but it's what employers might think.

Also Bristol has a completely different kind of qualification but at the same time, whilst being a well-respect uni, it isn't as good for IR.

I can't tell if I'm being deterred from picking LSE because it's London or if I'm only thinking it is the better place to go because of its reputation - so I am just stuck.

Any help?

At this stage reputation means little. Focus on what will be taught and how. Also look at where grads end up and links with the sector.
^ good advice

Sounds like for what you want to do the LLM might be a better choice with a slightly more applied focus. That's what I'd choose. You'll have to decide based on your own research though
Reply 3
I think you'd be mad if you rejected LSE, but maybe I overrate the IR Department.

I'm not sure it would hurt your employment chances. After all, IR theory looks at empirical reality, and your module titles will reveal this? End the end of the day, LSE's IR department is one of, if not the best, in the world, allegedly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending