The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

A little confused about credits

Hi there,

So I'm studying BTEC in Software Engineering. I'm in Year 5 now (finishing my 2nd last module), this is part of a Degree Apprenticeship by the way. This covers levels 4 - 6.

I'm aware that 70% and above is of course a First class (A), but I'm just wondering how credits work and how they're calculated by the end of the degree. I've read a little about it and I'm still confused so I'll lay out my marks to help, and maybe we can use examples.

So let's say I'm doing 6 modules in level 5:
- Web/Mobile Dev (20)
- Research Methods (10)
- Work-based Project (30)
- Solution Architecture (20)
- Big Data (20)
- Business Strategy (20)

The funny thing here is that not all modules are 20 credits (may be an apprenticeship thing). The workbased project I do throughout the year and submit at the end of level 5.

So say I get the following for the above:
- Web/Mobile Dev (97%)
- Research Methods (60%)
- Work-based Project (60%)
- Solution Architecture (60%)
- Big Data (85%)
- Business Strategy (70%)

How would the credits and final grade for this year be calculated? I keep reading that the best credits out of 120 credits of year 5 will be calculated, etc. But the total credits is 120 credits right? Do you get 20 credits for passing a module, and are the marks seperately used in defining the class?

Sorry, absolutely confused here, but I'm really open to someone's explanation. And thank you!
Hey, I've just moved this so it also now appears in University life and Apprenticeships and alternatives to university :smile: Hopefully someone should see this and be able to help :h:
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Original post by zaknokimi
Hi there,

So I'm studying BTEC in Software Engineering. I'm in Year 5 now (finishing my 2nd last module), this is part of a Degree Apprenticeship by the way. This covers levels 4 - 6.

I'm aware that 70% and above is of course a First class (A), but I'm just wondering how credits work and how they're calculated by the end of the degree. I've read a little about it and I'm still confused so I'll lay out my marks to help, and maybe we can use examples.

- Web/Mobile Dev (20)
- Research Methods (10)
- Big Data (20)
- Business Strategy (20)

The funny thing here is that not all modules are 20 credits (may be an apprenticeship thing). The workbased project I do throughout the year and submit at the end of level 5.

- Web/Mobile Dev (97%)
- Research Methods (60%)
- Big Data (85%)

How would the credits and final grade for this year be calculated? I keep reading that the best credits out of 120 credits of year 5 will be calculated, etc. But the total credits is 120 credits right? Do you get 20 credits for passing a module, and are the marks seperately used in defining the class?

Sorry, absolutely confused here, but I'm really open to someone's explanation. And thank you!

Sorry you are confusing me here as well.

You need to contact your uni or course organiser because all degree can have slight differences which means which credits count can differ and that affects the way the modules and degree are graded.

Normally a degree is 360 credits, with each year being 120 credits.

Grades are normally averaged to get a year end grade 50-59 2:2, 60-69 2;1 and 70 is a first. Each module is scored in the same way.

Modules can also be weighted so third year is often given more importance that first. First year is sometimes ignored altogether. This it would be typical for 2nd year to account for 1/3 of the marks and third year for 2/3.

Obviously you have to reapply that over the course of your degree, but your uni or course organiser should be able to explain that. Impossible for me to know because I dont know the format.
Hi there,

- Web/Mobile Dev (20)
- Research Methods (10)
- Big Data (20)
- Business Strategy (20)

- Web/Mobile Dev (97%)
- Research Methods (60%)
- Big Data (85%)

Using only the information you have provided without any knowledge of Roehampton or BTEC software engineering, the best 120 credits rule is meaningless to you if you only take 120, and the number of credits should not change from what you have listed. If this is true, then your overall is just a weighted average of your grades in each unit, weighted by the proportion of total credits.

E.g. Web/Dev contributes (20/120)*97 to your overall grade. Research contributes (10/120)*60, etc etc.
Reply 4
Thanks for the support everyone. Just spoke to my tutors and read the handbook (a couple of times). Apparently 200 credits are taken forward, 100 from year 2 and 100 from year 3. Each module is worth 20 credits but I do 6 modules per year (120 total) so they do disregard 1 module and take the best 5.
Hi there,

- Web/Mobile Dev (20)
- Research Methods (10)
- Big Data (20)
- Business Strategy (20)

- Web/Mobile Dev (97%)
- Research Methods (60%)
- Big Data (85%)

Thats not the usual way BTECs or at least the level 3s ive seen are calculated.

On the basis they do it as credits as per normal uni then take each score/ 120 as the total credits and multiply by the unit credits i.e 97/120 x 20=16.2 etc.
Do that for all the units and you come up with 72.

Talk to your department or course rep. I only have to go on what you have said.

Quick Reply

Latest