The Student Room Group

Flame test and test for water q

In part a) I thought that first we should get rid of the water in the compound so I had written 'Gently heat the crystals to remove the water. Then pour off the water, leave the crystals to dry and then dry them with filter paper.' the rest of my answer matches the mark scheme except I used Ca(No3)2 and not the hydrated whole compound so do I lose a mark?

In part b) I wrote Cobalt paper. And Blue to pink. Do I get the marks?

For part (b) you should get the marks as the mark scheme allows cobalt instead of cobalt chloride (you got the "near miss" they mention and you got the colour change right.).
Reply 2
Original post by macpatelgh
For part (b) you should get the marks as the mark scheme allows cobalt instead of cobalt chloride (you got the "near miss" they mention and you got the colour change right.).

Thanks!
and for part a
u dont have to remove the water
Reply 4
Original post by MARYAM1234567
and for part a
u dont have to remove the water

Yeah I know now but why not? Won't a little bit of steam produced mess up the flame test? And do I lose a mark for that?
Original post by Presto
Yeah I know now but why not? Won't a little bit of steam produced mess up the flame test? And do I lose a mark for that?

yes u will!
it doesnt change the test bud adds to some complications not req at IAL AS level!
Reply 6
Original post by MARYAM1234567
yes u will!
it doesnt change the test bud adds to some complications not req at IAL AS level!

Ok thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest