How were you disciplined as a child? Watch

Abcdefghijk123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Question above. Also how did you turn out?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abcdefghijk123)
My parents are Asian, that should explain everything.

I mean it did work, I got decent grades (not really) and a degree so they didn't fail :lol:
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mostly, I wasn't. My mother was a lot stricter than my father who almost never punished me physically (maybe once or twice in my entire life). But even my mom, it was rare that I'd be disciplined for something. Would've had my PS taken for example if I was spending too much time playing rival schools or smth (yes, I am old, children)

I turned out no better or worse than children with really, really strict parents.
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Asian mum, white dad.

When I was 15, I got really drunk and passed out on a road by myself. I was found by a passer by and then the ambulance called my parents. My punishment was I was grounded for the summer, I had to take a basic first aid course and complete a Gold DofE. The grounding lasted 2 weeks but I did finish the DofE which took 24 months and cost at least £1000.

When I turned 17, I was pretty much free to do as I pleased? My behaviour was my own responsibility and I didn't have my parents controlling my every move.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Was never disciplined and when I rarely was I was beaten the **** out of as a failed one-off to institutionalise order. Didn't work. With my little siblings I don't hit them at all and they are miles better than me.
h333
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My parents were not that strict. My mum can’t even shout, she’s too patient and nice.

Well my parents trust me a lot and I’ve never done anything crazy afaik so yh.
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Parents were strict (no beatings involved) when I was small but loosened up as I got older and proved I won't blow the house up as soon as mom and dad went out.

I'm at uni and in a job. This surprised mom who thought I'd deffo be a stuntman when I grew up (I gave her a hard time when I lived inside her!)
marzipan1030
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abcdefghijk123)
I turned out quite OK academically. most of the time I had to put my hands on my ears and go up and down as well as getting a massive earful every time I messed up (which was basically all of the time and is still the case 😬)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
YasudaSayo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was beaten when I was a toddler. I'm 17 now and her excuse was that I was 'uncontrollable' because I would always say no. Best mum ever
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
my parents especially my mum were sooo strict omg. I wasn't allowed to hang out with friends, my phone was checked until i was in yr 8/9. I wasn't allowed to wear whatever clothes i wanted to. I wasn't allowed to go on overnight school trips, so many rules. in y12 my mum calmed down a bit but now i wanna move out asap bc i want my own freedom, I ended up not bothering with friendships and people bc it's not like i would be allowed to see them afterwards so yeah happy days
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My Mam and Dad were strict in some ways and not so in others. I couldn't be roaming the streets when it was dark, but I had tins of ale bought for me from 13. Worked out well for them I guess. The only trouble I have ever really been in has been as an adult and generally reactive as opposed to proactive.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My mum would normally shout at me and then I'd get a punishment like get grounded or have my games console taken away. My dad would be similar but with less shouting. If I was really bad I'd get a single slap on the arse before being shouted at/punished, but I was never beaten or anything.
ma_long
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Had slippers thrown at me, wooden ones, slapped, had shoes thrown at me as well.
username2684465
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Had my Thomas the Tank Engine figures taken away from me.

5 year old me would have rather been beaten.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Beaten by both parents with a lot of verbal cruelty thrown in for good measure. Fairly sure it contributed significantly to the mental illnesses I suffered for the large part of my teenage years and early 20s. Now I've moved out my dad is a lot more laid back but my mum still tries to control what I do. She keeps offering to pay for me and my boyfriend to go on holiday, do the house up etc etc. Funny how abusive parents think they can pay their children off.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gjd800)
My Mam and Dad were strict in some ways and not so in others. I couldn't be roaming the streets when it was dark, but I had tins of ale bought for me from 13. Worked out well for them I guess. The only trouble I have ever really been in has been as an adult and generally reactive as opposed to proactive.
Aye, same. Given a lot of freedom, had to define my own limits. And now if I feel guilty about something, it will cut deep and stay with me till I sort it, as it comes from deep within me. On the other hand, I say a lot of **** which most people would find weird for someone you've just met.

Got a clip now and again as a child, but used to just laugh at it.
WhiteBunny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Asian parents .....

Was raised in an Asian country , my parents are loving but strict . I was being spank at times , when I did something wrong , got bad grades etc. Now I am 17 , my parents don’t really made any changes except they add in two more punishment and that will be confiscation items and grounded .

I feel that they love me even though they punish me . The spanking hurts though .... haha , And to be honest I feel that I am lucky to have parents who is willing to discipline me , teach me when I did something wrong and correct me when it’s needed. I do have friends that their parents don’t ever lay a hand on them .... not even confiscate their phones only occasionally scolding and they get away with things lightly and now they seem to be in deep trouble . They think that the world evolves around them and that they could get away with anything .
Abcdefghijk123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Since everyone’s sharing theirs, I’ll share mine. When I was younger (like 4-8ish) my parents, especially my dad, would smack me to discipline me. My dad was the strict one and I knew I could get away with murder around my mum. Sometimes my dad would flip out and one time when I was 6 he repeatedly smacked me in the face because I said ‘that wasn’t very nice’ when he poured orange juice all over me 😂 that scared my little sister so much. I would also be sent to my room when I was naughty.

My mum got two rolling pins and got my sister and I to write our names on them and would tell us she would hit us with them if we were naughty. It was an empty threat; she never did. My dad used to say things like ‘if you do this I’ll kill you/break your neck’. Also, thankfully, an empty threat.

As I got older, he would just take away my phone/TV/computer privileges to punish me. If I was bad around my mum, she’d tell my dad and let him punish me. Old fashioned, I know. Thankfully I was never grounded, I would have gone crazy. Although I didn’t have much of a social life I didn’t go out much anyway, but still.

Now that I’m 20, and ever since I was 15-16 really, they don’t punish me as a). I don’t do anything to get punished and b). they recognise that I’m too old to be treated like a child.

I turned out okay, but I’m still pretty terrified by others’ anger and I have trouble saying no or disagreeing with people incase it enrages/upsets them. I also fear authority a bit.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I was physically disciplined, usually I got smacked but one time my mum punched me and gave me a nose bleed. There were also times when she kicked me and I had a lot of bruises in school that I tried to cover up.

I am mostly okay now, maybe I’m a bit aggressive because of it
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was brought up in the care system 1948-the 1960s in the care of the Roman Catholic Church and was sent to the Magdalen Laundries. I have been kicked, punched, sexually abused, I have PTSD and am in trauma therapy which my university arranged for me as my GP was a lazy *****.
I think I turned out OK. I haven't killed anyone. I have days when I am completely incapacitated but I get through it. I take no **** from anyone. The thing is not to let what has happened to you define who you are. X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (404)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (483)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (252)
11.59%

Watched Threads