Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I don’t know what to do anymore. I have literally ruined my life, I never took school or exams serious till now and it’s all hitting me at once. I don’t know what to do. Please help.

ReputationRep:
    Wait slow down bro, are you doing GCSEs or A-levels? What are your grades like right now?

ReputationRep:
    you still have time. You can at least do some sort of revision by the time you start ur first exam. Btw what exams are you doing? GCSE or A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hkmt)
    Wait slow down bro, are you doing GCSEs or A-levels? What are your grades like right now?
    Hi, I am doing GCSE’s and I’m getting 4’s and 5’s in most subjects.

ReputationRep:
    No, you haven't ruined your life. Just take a breath and then see which exams are first. A couple of hours a day will make a big difference, even with 8 days to go. Some of your exams are more than a month away so just worry about the closest to start with. Don't panic, but get offline so that you can concentrate on study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fasey02)
    Hi, I am doing GCSE’s and I’m getting 4’s and 5’s in most subjects.
    What Lit teacher said man, focus on the exams you have coming up first, and just blast through past papers, revise model answers and test yourself with end of chapter questions repeatedly. You've got this man trust me.

ReputationRep:
    4s and 5s? Okay, you may not ruin your life if you keep us these grades. A 4 is a pass. That's good, you're passing. Now do revision on your worst topics. You can do this. You haven't failed life yet. There's still a chance! Have hope. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I could nail an exam with 8 days of revision. Calm down

ReputationRep:
    Look at those exams which you have first, in 8 days, do revision every day and you'll get there. Some exams will be in June, so you've still got time buy you need to use if effectively. Now you need to look at last years papers, sit down and write a list of all the topics that had come up. Those topics which didn't come up, you need to revise them as there is a higher chance that they will come up. Look at mark schemes and past paper questions. You'll get there, just revise after school and don't get sidetracked. Couple hours every day will do it.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you really do not need to panic yet. You still have time to ace them.
    1) If you are still at school and not on study leave, take the week off. You don't have any time to waste.
    2) Get up early and plan your day - I would aim to wake up around 7 and start at 7.30.
    3) Print off specifications for every subject and tick off what you already know/know reasonably well
    4) Prioritise your subjects based on how soon the exam is and what you need to do well in
    5) Work in 25 minute sessions, then take a 5 minute break. Use a timer to keep focused.
    6) Work on making sure everything on the specification is ticked off. After you look through most of the topics, start doing past papers.
    7) You won't have enough time to sit and do every past paper for the full length of time, so don't. Either bullet point answers or just think about what you would say in your head then check the mark scheme
    8) Read some examiner's reports to see what they are looking for

There's no time for you to make notes so if you don't have any you need to use either your textbook or CGP revision guides. Alternatively, find some notes online. Getting top grades at GCSE is largely about technique, so master the past papers and you will excel. Make sure not to burn out by taking regular breaks, eating healthy, exercising etc. You will be absolutely fine.

(and even if you do badly, it isn't the end of the world)

ReputationRep:
    You have not ruined your life, I did zero revision for my GCSEs (excluding core science for which i did 2 days before and got a B) and came out with 12 GCSEs in total. I know that isnt a good example and I believe with revision my grades couldve been a lot better (2 D*s, 2A's, 5Bs, 2Cs and 1D) but as long as you start revising your weaker subjects now and schedule revision well you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    If worst comes to worst, there are always A levels.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Wake up at 3 am sleep at 11am all you need is four hours sleep and do past papers. Maths go on mathsgenie. Science do old spec past papers. English no ****ing idea just do last years paper.

ReputationRep:
    Hit me up on snapchat at @stjudesbro and i'll give you advice on what exactly to do based on your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fasey02)
    Hi guys, I don’t know what to do anymore. I have literally ruined my life, I never took school or exams serious till now and it’s all hitting me at once. I don’t know what to do. Please help.
    I actually made a thread myself on this in the morning and I was in exactly your position.

Now I am calm and relaxed, and hopefully I can advise you to get to where I am now.

Firstly I have a test on B1 in 8 days or so.

I'm starting revision tomorrow and I have planned the next 6 days before that test ( 1 day to revise entirely biology before the date will be allocated after the 6th day ).

Firstly I advise that you make a morning routine.
    Don't ponder over it for too long, just make sure you go to sleep at a set time everyday and wake up at a set time everyday. Then I suggest you wake up early.

For the morning routine you can Google some stuff on the topic and then just grab a piece of paper and start planning the routine from the first thing to the last thing before revision, which could be going for a walk.

Remember, dont spend too much time on this.
    Just get it over with and be happy with it.

Next I suggest you make a plan to be able to cover all the content in the amount of time left before exam time.

Find out how many subjects you can revise in a day, times it by how many days you have left until the day before the exam, and then the end amount will be the amount of sessions you have.

Allocate the sessions to the subjects and use a calculator to divide the content by the session amount for each subject you study.

And finally I definitely recommend the Pomodoro Technique for revision.

It basically divides revision into small chunks with breaks to help you revise for longer and more focused amounts of time.

It goes like so:

25minute study
    5 minute break

You do this 4 times until you take a longer break of 15 minutes at the 4th study period.

I do however recommend that you study for 20 minutes, then have a 5 minute break and then review the material you revised in the 20 minutes for 5 minutes after the 5 minute break.

You can also do this for the big break.

I assume you know what revision method is best for you, but if you do not then I recommend Maths Genie for Math, Mr Bruff for English and for sciences just Google the spec that you're doing and revise the material on there.

Good luck!
    I hope this helped you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneiropólos)
    I actually made a thread myself on this in the morning and I was in exactly your position.

Now I am calm and relaxed, and hopefully I can advise you to get to where I am now.

Firstly I have a test on B1 in 8 days or so.

I'm starting revision tomorrow and I have planned the next 6 days before that test ( 1 day to revise entirely biology before the date will be allocated after the 6th day ).

Firstly I advise that you make a morning routine.
    Don't ponder over it for too long, just make sure you go to sleep at a set time everyday and wake up at a set time everyday. Then I suggest you wake up early.

For the morning routine you can Google some stuff on the topic and then just grab a piece of paper and start planning the routine from the first thing to the last thing before revision, which could be going for a walk.

Remember, dont spend too much time on this.
    Just get it over with and be happy with it.

Next I suggest you make a plan to be able to cover all the content in the amount of time left before exam time.

Find out how many subjects you can revise in a day, times it by how many days you have left until the day before the exam, and then the end amount will be the amount of sessions you have.

Allocate the sessions to the subjects and use a calculator to divide the content by the session amount for each subject you study.

And finally I definitely recommend the Pomodoro Technique for revision.

It basically divides revision into small chunks with breaks to help you revise for longer and more focused amounts of time.

It goes like so:

25minute study
    5 minute break

You do this 4 times until you take a longer break of 15 minutes at the 4th study period.

I do however recommend that you study for 20 minutes, then have a 5 minute break and then review the material you revised in the 20 minutes for 5 minutes after the 5 minute break.

You can also do this for the big break.

I assume you know what revision method is best for you, but if you do not then I recommend Maths Genie for Math, Mr Bruff for English and for sciences just Google the spec that you're doing and revise the material on there.

Good luck!
    I hope this helped you!
    Thank you so much, means a lot to me <3

ReputationRep:
    GCSES are pointless. Haven’t needed to use Shakespeare in my networking essay.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine. Just revise as much as you can during the day, when you're free. Don't revise all night or something like that. I revised a little, and gotr 4 on english and 5 on maths. You will be fine, now I am getting bigger and better grades in my btec. As long as you pass, you're fine, even if you don't, you can always do it next year.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what you want to do after school? If you want to go to sixth form for example find out the entry requirements and work on getting what you need. It sounds like you are passing, so you're already in a much better position than some!

I promise you, once you have your AS Levels, nobody will ask about your GCSEs anymore (perhaps with the exception of English Language and Maths, which you should aim for a good result in), so you just need to get enough to get to the next stage.

Of course you'll want as good results as you can get, but if they're not all top grades it's really nothing to worry about.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by YeFool)
    Can't wait to be served by you in McDonald's
    Honestly I'd judge the person that chooses to eat at McDonalds far more than the workers who are earning a wage doing real work.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.