The Student Room Group

Cold environments

I'm really confused about where polar & tundra environments are found. This is what I think:
Polar in Antarctica and tundra in the Arctic, bu tundra environments contain permafrost, which involves soil, but the Arctic is a frozen ocean. This is where I'm confused, how is there permafrost in the Arctic??

Or am i just completely wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by talking_avacado
I'm really confused about where polar & tundra environments are found. This is what I think:
Polar in Antarctica and tundra in the Arctic, bu tundra environments contain permafrost, which involves soil, but the Arctic is a frozen ocean. This is where I'm confused, how is there permafrost in the Arctic??

Or am i just completely wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

The Arctic has tundra, because it also extends to northern parts of adjacent landmasses such as Iceland, Greenland, Russia, Alaska and Scandinavia, in addition to the Arctic Ocean itself. Tundra environments are characterised by a lack of trees and are dominated by low-growing shrubs and grasses, which can be found in these places. Antarctica also has tundra on some of the rocky, ice-free islands surrounding it.

Therefore, although the Arctic and Antarctica are both mainly polar environments, they also include areas of tundra :smile:

Quick Reply