Creating an EPQ title Watch

HMBB
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have manged to come up with a number of concepts that I wouldn't mind doing an EPQ on, however I'm struggling to translate these ideas into an effective title or knowing if the subject is too broad/narrow. So i'd appreciate help on fixing this.
The rough ideas i have so far
-The Main contributing factor for the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
-The Evolution of Roman armour from the early republic to the late empire
-The Evolution of Weaponry or Armour In Western Europe during the medieval era
-The importance/influence of the Carolingian dynasty in modern society
-The Depiction of medieval combat in media.
Thanks
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by HMBB)
I have manged to come up with a number of concepts that I wouldn't mind doing an EPQ on, however I'm struggling to translate these ideas into an effective title or knowing if the subject is too broad/narrow. So i'd appreciate help on fixing this.
The rough ideas i have so far
-The Main contributing factor for the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
-The Evolution of Roman armour from the early republic to the late empire
-The Evolution of Weaponry or Armour In Western Europe during the medieval era
-The importance/influence of the Carolingian dynasty in modern society
-The Depiction of medieval combat in media.
Thanks
Cant say I am that fussed by them. They all seem passive explanations which i could get from a book rather than involving a bit of controversy or alternative interpretations. You need scope for analysis, but also evaluation.

Do essay plans for your 4-6 favourite ones and see how much material there is and what 5000 word might look like.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm not into history so I can't comment on the depth of these topics but your proposed topics do sound like they could be good. However the big issue you've got is that these are very descriptive titles and your EPQ needs to be evaluative. It's not enough just to recount what happened in a bit of history, you've got to find something you can debate and come to a conclusion about.

Using the armour example "the evolution of armour in Roman history" is descriptive and something you could find out by a simple Google search. However something like evaluating which era had the best armour or something like that would be better. You could then go into other aspects such as the material, design, etc. I hope this helps explain what your title needs to be like!

Also your title doesn't necessarily have to be a question either. I struggled to make mine fit a question and so I used a statement instead. Common words used in titles to show they are evaluative includes Assess, Evaluate, To what extent. Those kinds of things.

The best topic is one that interests you and one that you can do a lot of research for. My college recommended at least 25 references but the more, the better (they also have to be varied sources). Pick your favourite topics and do a bit of quick research. See how much there is related to these topics before you choose them because there's no point in choosing one that you can't write 5000 words on!

Last little tip is that your title does not have to be perfect. Odds are you're gonna change it a few times. It doesn't matter if it's too broad when you choose it, you can refine it later once you've done research! Changing it and adapting it are actually good things to say in the logbook.

Hope I've helped out and if you've got anymore questions just ask!
HMBB
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
I'm not into history so I can't comment on the depth of these topics but your proposed topics do sound like they could be good. However the big issue you've got is that these are very descriptive titles and your EPQ needs to be evaluative. It's not enough just to recount what happened in a bit of history, you've got to find something you can debate and come to a conclusion about.

Using the armour example "the evolution of armour in Roman history" is descriptive and something you could find out by a simple Google search. However something like evaluating which era had the best armour or something like that would be better. You could then go into other aspects such as the material, design, etc. I hope this helps explain what your title needs to be like!

Also your title doesn't necessarily have to be a question either. I struggled to make mine fit a question and so I used a statement instead. Common words used in titles to show they are evaluative includes Assess, Evaluate, To what extent. Those kinds of things.

The best topic is one that interests you and one that you can do a lot of research for. My college recommended at least 25 references but the more, the better (they also have to be varied sources). Pick your favourite topics and do a bit of quick research. See how much there is related to these topics before you choose them because there's no point in choosing one that you can't write 5000 words on!

Last little tip is that your title does not have to be perfect. Odds are you're gonna change it a few times. It doesn't matter if it's too broad when you choose it, you can refine it later once you've done research! Changing it and adapting it are actually good things to say in the logbook.

Hope I've helped out and if you've got anymore questions just ask!
Thanks for the help, would it be better if I evaluated to what extent 1 factor lead to the decline of the empire?
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by HMBB)
Thanks for the help, would it be better if I evaluated to what extent 1 factor lead to the decline of the empire?
It sounds like it could be a good topic because you can find arguments for it being the biggest factor in the decline and then arguments against it and so on. As long as you can write 5000 words on this then great! It doesn't matter if it seems too small or big of a topic now because you can always expand or refine it later once you research and write. Also when researching make sure you can find a variety of sources on this such as websites, books, documentaries and consider doing primary research (best bet here is to contact professionals in the field about their opinion) as this all gets you extra marks.

But like I said I'm not into history, my epq was biomedical science based, so I can't give specific advice on this topic itself, how big it is, etc. Hope I've still managed to help though and anymore questions just ask!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (106)
17.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (64)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.56%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed