Home was broken into and now I'm struggling to cope

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
On the Sunday just gone I was woken by our house alarm going off. I left my room and stood at the top of the stairs on the landing and I was greeted by the sight of a guy in a hood stood at the bottom of our stairs. I roared at him and he ran off and I called the police. He didn't steal anything but I am really struggling to cope.

I think this may be because my mum and dad were on holiday and my sister had gone away for the weekend with her boyfriend so I was in the house on my own. Even though nothing was taken and he didn't attack me I keep on thinking to myself "what if" like what if he came running up the stairs towards me or what if there was more than one person in the house with him. I know people say you can't keep thinking "what if" but I think it is human nature to think that way. I am just really struggling, I will be fine but then I will keep getting flashbacks and I burst into tears, on top of that I cannot sleep in my own room because I keep remembering what happened on Sunday morning.

I know people will think that as a lad I should be tougher than this but it has really affected me, I have spent the last two nights sleeping on my parents bedroom floor with a baseball bat in my hand I've been that scared and I keep having mini panic attacks at random points during the day.

All my family have been great trying to help me but I would just like some advice from people who do not know as to what I can do to get over this.
student1855
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Peak times
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I live on a boat, and last year I got it broken into whilst I was away. I came back to find it had been totally trashed (though nothing important was missing, it was just mess). I was annoyed at the mess and that there were a few things broken, but didn't feel like those things were too big a deal. Some nice people helped me move it somewhere safe and I cleaned up and replaced the locks, and thought once I got everything fixed up it would be fine. The first night or two I stayed on board though, I cried my eyes out, and slept fully dressed because I felt so uncomfortable. Everything just felt wrong, and for a while I even considered that I didn't want to live there any more and started to look at other options. It took me several weeks but eventually I did start to feel comfortable again-after a few sleepless nights jumping at every little noise-so I'm glad I hung in there.

I have also had people give me a real scare when I've been on my boat by climbing on it or similar, and whilst usually it's not out of malice, that alone is still often enough to leave me shaking.

So you're having a perfectly normal reaction. It's not a nice thing to have someone break into your home. Even if nothing was taken or broken, the feeling of having someone violate your space can be pretty shocking. For me, it really helped that I cleaned and reorganised everything (rather than just the basic clean up I did initially) and bought some new things, and just spent some time making it feel like it was mine again. It also kind of made it feel like it wasn't quite the same space someone had broken into, if that makes sense? So I don't know if maybe that might help you? Rearranging your room or giving it a cleaning blitz etc, might make it feel a bit less like the same place that you were in when the break in happened?

If it's only been a couple of days though, I'd say its okay that you're still feeling shaken up. It might help to try getting back to normal in little steps. Like if you don't feel you can sleep in your room, maybe spend a bit of time there before bed and then ease yourself back into spending more and more time in there until you feel able to sleep there?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by heidigirl)
I live on a boat, and last year I got it broken into whilst I was away. I came back to find it had been totally trashed (though nothing important was missing, it was just mess). I was annoyed at the mess and that there were a few things broken, but didn't feel like those things were too big a deal. Some nice people helped me move it somewhere safe and I cleaned up and replaced the locks, and thought once I got everything fixed up it would be fine. The first night or two I stayed on board though, I cried my eyes out, and slept fully dressed because I felt so uncomfortable. Everything just felt wrong, and for a while I even considered that I didn't want to live there any more and started to look at other options. It took me several weeks but eventually I did start to feel comfortable again-after a few sleepless nights jumping at every little noise-so I'm glad I hung in there.

I have also had people give me a real scare when I've been on my boat by climbing on it or similar, and whilst usually it's not out of malice, that alone is still often enough to leave me shaking.

So you're having a perfectly normal reaction. It's not a nice thing to have someone break into your home. Even if nothing was taken or broken, the feeling of having someone violate your space can be pretty shocking. For me, it really helped that I cleaned and reorganised everything (rather than just the basic clean up I did initially) and bought some new things, and just spent some time making it feel like it was mine again. It also kind of made it feel like it wasn't quite the same space someone had broken into, if that makes sense? So I don't know if maybe that might help you? Rearranging your room or giving it a cleaning blitz etc, might make it feel a bit less like the same place that you were in when the break in happened?

If it's only been a couple of days though, I'd say its okay that you're still feeling shaken up. It might help to try getting back to normal in little steps. Like if you don't feel you can sleep in your room, maybe spend a bit of time there before bed and then ease yourself back into spending more and more time in there until you feel able to sleep there?
Thanks for the response, it's good to get an opinion from someone who has experienced similar. I just can't get the image of this guy standing at the bottom of the stairs out of my head. I am trying to get back into some sort of routine but I just feel like I am constantly looking over my shoulder.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.64%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.66%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (69)
21.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.43%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.83%

Watched Threads