The Student Room Group

wrongly filled in the application form and got an offer. is this fraud???

I just got an unconditional offer from a uni and i realised there is something wrong with the internship experiences on my application form. I put down the wrong year for two of the internship experiences. There is a clear overlap in time of them and one of them somehow lasted a year according to the wrong information i provided. But the CV I have uploaded with the application form shows the correct year and date. I dont think the admission examined my internship experience using the information on the application form because it is very clear i was lying and the year is wrong. They might use the CV i provided instead to examine my application.

I have now pointed out this mistake to the university in fear that they would think this is a fraud action. I have also told them two of the internships were done remotely which I have not included the word "Remote" in my CV. I just put the task i did in those two internships.

What is the chance of them thinking this is a fraur and withdraw my offer?

I'm really scared.....
Reply 1
Original post by Md2huju
I just got an unconditional offer from a uni and i realised there is something wrong with the internship experiences on my application form. I put down the wrong year for two of the internship experiences. There is a clear overlap in time of them and one of them somehow lasted a year according to the wrong information i provided. But the CV I have uploaded with the application form shows the correct year and date. I dont think the admission examined my internship experience using the information on the application form because it is very clear i was lying and the year is wrong. They might use the CV i provided instead to examine my application.

I have now pointed out this mistake to the university in fear that they would think this is a fraud action. I have also told them two of the internships were done remotely which I have not included the word "Remote" in my CV. I just put the task i did in those two internships.

What is the chance of them thinking this is a fraur and withdraw my offer?

I'm really scared.....

Contact your university asap just to explain your error* - I very much doubt it will make any difference. It will be absolutely fine.

*By the way, were you lying, or just mistaken? Lying = bad... but being mistaken is fine.

Edit: which course/university is this for?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Contact your university asap just to explain your error* - I very much doubt it will make any difference. It will be absolutely fine.

*By the way, were you lying, or just mistaken? Lying = bad... but being mistaken is fine.

Edit: which course/university is this for?

hi, thank you for your reply!
I wasn't lying at alllll! It was really just a mistake. I have applied three courses at this university and all the information on the other two aapplication form was correct. And the CV I provided was correct, except from the information on this application form.
Do you think failure to mention two of the internship was done remotely count as lying? 😢
Original post by Md2huju
I wasn't lying at alllll! It was really just a mistake. I have applied three courses at this university and all the information on the other two aapplication form was correct. And the CV I provided was correct, except from the information on this application form.
Do you think failure to mention two of the internship was done remotely count as lying? 😢

To start with why did you send your CV to universities? They don't take, look at or care about CVs so they're not going to cross-reference dates with it. Not mentioning an internship isn't fraud at all, it would be fraud if you'd made up you'd done one and you hadn't. They clearly don't care about the dates because otherwise they would have already done something about it if they did. They've given you an offer so you're just making things harder for yourself and them by doing all this.
Reply 4
Original post by Glassapple
To start with why did you send your CV to universities? They don't take, look at or care about CVs so they're not going to cross-reference dates with it. Not mentioning an internship isn't fraud at all, it would be fraud if you'd made up you'd done one and you hadn't.

Cuz i'm applying for a postgraduate degree and they do care about the CV 🤭
Original post by Md2huju
Cuz i'm applying for a postgraduate degree and they do care about the CV 🤭

Read my edited post above.
Reply 6
Original post by Md2huju

You just made an error, you didn't lie. And now you've told them about it and clarified the problem.

Internships aren't important anyway.

it's fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
You just made an error, you didn't lie. And now you've told them about it and clarified the problem.

Internships aren't important anyway.

it's fine.

Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by Glassapple
Read my edited post above.

Thank you!

Quick Reply