The Student Room Group

How course weighting is calculated

I'm currently doing a dissertation, and one thing that is confusing me is how the dissertation is graded.

The student handbook states that the dissertation is worth 30 credits out of 120 for the final year which would equate to 25% of the final year grade. However, the university also states that the dissertation is worth 15% of the whole degree grade.

So I'm wondering how would a dissertation be worth both 25% of the final year grade and 15% of the whole degree at the same time, perhaps I'm just confused about how it's graded?
Module weightings are decided by the department, so it's unlikely that anyone here could tell you, especially when you haven't said what degree you're doing,

That said I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive. For instance, the whole degree grade could be 15% of your dissertation mark, 50% of your third year mark (of which a quarter is your dissertation mark), 25% second year, and 10% first year.
are you still enrolled in your dissertation? if yes then i can guide you accordingly
I have got 42 on one module and 57 for dissertation what grades would I need for my other three modules to get a 2.2 or a 2.1 please help
Original post by Klsjjs1234
I have got 42 on one module and 57 for dissertation what grades would I need for my other three modules to get a 2.2 or a 2.1 please help

Its better to start a new thread then bump one which is 2 years old.

But it will depend how your uni calculates final grades and the credits of every module.
Original post by help_me_mates
I'm currently doing a dissertation, and one thing that is confusing me is how the dissertation is graded.

The student handbook states that the dissertation is worth 30 credits out of 120 for the final year which would equate to 25% of the final year grade. However, the university also states that the dissertation is worth 15% of the whole degree grade.

So I'm wondering how would a dissertation be worth both 25% of the final year grade and 15% of the whole degree at the same time, perhaps I'm just confused about how it's graded?

I am guessing that the modules in year 2 go towards your final grade so the dissertation may be worth 25% of the final year marks but that equates to 15% of the overall mark.
Original post by mike23mike
I am guessing that the modules in year 2 go towards your final grade so the dissertation may be worth 25% of the final year marks but that equates to 15% of the overall mark.

No it’s a one year BA Hons top up course and so far I have 57 for dissertation and 42,54 waiting to find out my last two maiming grades and done

Quick Reply