The Student Room Group

Undergrad vs postgrad

Hey!

Currently, I'm debating whether or not I should apply for an undergrad degree at Oxford... It's been a dream of mine to go there for a long time, but the reality is: as someone who is considered an international student, the fees are exceptionally high, especially without a scholarship.

So, I guess what I'm asking is: Is studying at Oxford really worth the money it costs? Of course: this question is purely hypothetical. I am well aware of how difficult it is to get into Oxford and I know that it's unlikely that I would ever be accepted. However, I would just like to know for reference.
(For an international student to study without a scholarship, it'll probably cost £20,000, which is honestly an exorbitant amount for university and a price that I'm really not sure is one that I'm willing to pay. I'd just like to hear some opinions before I consider applying any more seriously than a bit of a distant dream).

And a question unrelated to that: do you think undergraduate or postgraduate studies are more important?
(edited 5 years ago)
I mean, any degree from Oxford is worthwhile!

I'd probably say an undergraduate degree is more worth it, because perhaps after undergrad you may not choose to do a Masters, and also going to Oxford for undergrad will open up more opportunities for you. I'd say getting into Oxford is harder at undergrad and (slightly) easier at postgrad.

Obviously you'd have to way up the cost, but just depends on you much you want to go to Oxford
This is just a bit of a snobby post...

Feel free to apply, and im sure we all support you....

But its really up to oxford either way...not really in your power..

But do apply...because no one who hasnt applied has went...
Original post by Realitysreflexx
This is just a bit of a snobby post...

Feel free to apply, and im sure we all support you....

But its really up to oxford either way...not really in your power..

But do apply...because no one who hasnt applied has went...

I'm so sorry! I've just read back through the question, and you're completely right. I sound exceptionally snobbish and arrogant. I'm so, so sorry - I really didn't mean to sound that way at all. I'm extremely aware that it's hard to get into Oxford and realistically, it's exceptionally unlikely that I would be able to get a place. I guess, as I said, it's just always been something that I've liked the idea of going there, even though it is extremely unrealistic for me.

I was tired when I wrote the post and that's absolutely no excuse. Again - I'm so sorry that it came across that way. I can see exactly where you come from and I promise that I absolutely had no intention of sounding so pompous and stuck up... I'm so sorry...

So, I guess to rephrase my question (and please, don't answer if I'm aggravating you)...
Is studying at Oxford really worth the money it costs?
And an unrelated question: do you think undergraduate or postgraduate studies are more important?
Personally I would be unwilling to pay that much money per year for an Oxford degree (having done one on the UK rate of £9,000 per year by taking out a UK government loan of around £50,000, which I won't necessarily have to entirely pay off). But it depends on how much money you have!

Seems like it would be worth applying anyway, and applying to as many scholarships as possible while you're at it.

I think the answer to the second unrelated question totally depends on what you want to do in life. Many careers will not be benefitted by postgrad degrees, while some require it. For some people degrees are a path of learning and self discovery, while for others they are simply stepping stones.
Original post by username3948556

(For an international student to study without a scholarship, it'll probably cost £20,000..)

Fyi, it’s actually around £31,000.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending