The Student Room Group

Here are the 'hottest revision tools of 2018'!

Revising for weeks or months on end is hard at the best of times - but especially if you're prone to distractions

Studies have shown that with the number of modern-day distractions, it can now take up to 5 reads of a page to retain the information on it too - how infuriating! :angry:

But the website Tutorful has come up with the ultimate revision tool guide to help you overcome procrastination and distractions. They've covered all the different aspects of studying too, such as productivity, planning, note-taking, subject-specific revision and stress management - and they've even given our mate Get Revising a little mention in there too.

What apps or programs do you use to help you revise?

Or maybe you find it easier to leave your phone alone completely?!

Will you be using any of the apps or programs on this list? :smile:
leaving your phone alone completely. done it for a year and im getting great results tbh
For more straightforward exams with linear learning, its worth learning mark schemes:

15-30% of stuff you learn never comes up since its background/introductory/ extension, always look at what keeps coming up first so you know which areas to focus more on.

Also, just write out mark schemes instead of doing them - some say this ruins doing the paper but

writing and learning model answers for say 60% of potential questions beats slugging slowly through the entire syllabus and then attempting the paper at the end only to get like 30-40% mark anyway and becoming more demoralized - been there done that.

note: still do as much learning as you can and practising other questions, this should be an additional technique, not just the only one
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Cat476
Same I've started doing this within the last few days and it's helped my productivity so much- by just leaving my phone upstairs or turned off it helps me not get distracted, even if I forget and find myself tapping to check it before remembering it's turned off when I'm bored, by which point I just go back to my work. By removing the source of distraction completely and giving yourself no other choice but to do your work, as small a change as it is, can be one of the best things you do.

trust me, it works so well and im so glad i dd it, it was hard at the beginning but you get use to it and i can safely say my grades have drastically improved and my good grades have been maintained throughout the year :smile: i just hope i can do even better in my real exams :smile:
Original post by soIiIoquy
trust me, it works so well and im so glad i dd it, it was hard at the beginning but you get use to it and i can safely say my grades have drastically improved and my good grades have been maintained throughout the year :smile: i just hope i can do even better in my real exams :smile:

Glad to hear it gets easier, while useful there's no denying it's a challenge haha- good luck in your exams!
Original post by Cat476
Glad to hear it gets easier, while useful there's no denying it's a challenge haha- good luck in your exams!

trust me. hahah

thank you, and you too, if you have any upcoming ones! xx
Reply 6
Original post by ForestShadow
For more straightforward exams with linear learning, its worth learning mark schemes:

15-30% of stuff you learn never comes up since its background/introductory/ extension, always look at what keeps coming up first so you know which areas to focus more on.

Also, just write out mark schemes instead of doing them - some say this ruins doing the paper but

writing and learning model answers for say 60% of potential questions beats slugging slowly through the entire syllabus and then attempting the paper at the end only to get like 30-40% mark anyway and becoming more demoralized - been there done that.

note: still do as much learning as you can and practising other questions, this should be an additional technique, not just the only one

This definitely works with GCSE and I'll be trying this for A-Level Business
www.senecalearning.com was launched this year so it's definitely a hot revision tool of 2018! And it's free xD
I'm using Seneca, like that's almost the only tool I use, :borat: Butt they don't have an app, so I just do it on my laptop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending