The Student Room Group

Mechanics A level?

Hi there, just a question, how does it work if you want to take mechanics in mathematics? I study edexcel Year 1 Mechanics but was confused because there is modular Mechanics as well? What are the diffrences and do I need to take statistics too? Sorry I am not English I find the system here bit confusing
Original post by Justi950
Hi there, just a question, how does it work if you want to take mechanics in mathematics? I study edexcel Year 1 Mechanics but was confused because there is modular Mechanics as well? What are the diffrences and do I need to take statistics too? Sorry I am not English I find the system here bit confusing

I think you've mixed the old spec and the new spec.

The new spec is for exams from 2018 (this year, in fact, in a week)

The modular mechanics which you saw is M1, M2 and M3, and so on. This is from the old spec.

The new spec simply has 3 units, Pure, Mechanics and stats.

Assuming you don't take AS exams, you should have, or nearly covered all of year 1 pure, mechanics and stats.

Next year you would take the A-level exams, which would include both year 1 and 2 pure, mechanics and stats.

So for now, remember that you are taking the new linear exams, meaning if you see modules such as C1, M1 or S1 or D1, they are not for you.

You're expecting the Core pure, Stats and mechanics.

Hope I cleared it up for you. If you need anything else fixed up, don't mind to ask.
Reply 2
Original post by RickHendricks
I think you've mixed the old spec and the new spec.

The new spec is for exams from 2018 (this year, in fact, in a week)

The modular mechanics which you saw is M1, M2 and M3, and so on. This is from the old spec.

The new spec simply has 3 units, Pure, Mechanics and stats.

Assuming you don't take AS exams, you should have, or nearly covered all of year 1 pure, mechanics and stats.

Next year you would take the A-level exams, which would include both year 1 and 2 pure, mechanics and stats.

So for now, remember that you are taking the new linear exams, meaning if you see modules such as C1, M1 or S1 or D1, they are not for you.

You're expecting the Core pure, Stats and mechanics.

Hope I cleared it up for you. If you need anything else fixed up, don't mind to ask.

So I will need to take Core Stats and Mechanics all together now? That is a shame because I really suck at statistics :frown:
So I will need to take Core Stats and Mechanics all together now? That is a shame because I really suck at statistics :frown:

Are you taking AS exams this year?

If so, yes, you will. That's the whole point of the new examinations.

If not, then you will next year.

Stats is not that bad tbh. The questions in stats are pretty straight forward.
Reply 4
Are you taking AS exams this year?

If so, yes, you will. That's the whole point of the new examinations.

If not, then you will next year.

Stats is not that bad tbh. The questions in stats are pretty straight forward.

The problem is that I took A levels in math back in my country but I didn't take an exam so now I decided that I want to and I am just not sure how it works here. Edu system is completely different there from ours and edexcel book doesn't explain much how to solve anything it just gives exercises and answers. Is there any good books maybe to practice? Or any private tutors?
The problem is that I took A levels in math back in my country but I didn't take an exam so now I decided that I want to and I am just not sure how it works here. Edu system is completely different there from ours and edexcel book doesn't explain much how to solve anything it just gives exercises and answers. Is there any good books maybe to practice? Or any private tutors?

Do you have the pearson's book?
Reply 6
Do you have the pearson's book?

No whats is it?
The Edexcel Math books are the best books to self study from in my opinion
Reply 8
No whats is it?

Oh sorry yes it is Pearsons Statistics and mechanics Year 1/AS
No whats is it?

It's the book published by Edexcel. Their own endorsed one.
Reply 10
It's the book published by Edexcel. Their own endorsed one.

Yeah I have this one but not a fan of it honestly, they only give one example how to solve everything and dont explain much. Or maybe I am just too stupid to study it anyway :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest