Turn on thread page Beta

Searching for a classics course with an option for literature-based study. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering which universities offer a greater focus on the analysis of the classical texts than history / architecture etc. I'm not saying that I would not like to study those aspects as well, but if some universities have proclivities towards one area of study or another it would be really handy to know. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jass R)
    I was wondering which universities offer a greater focus on the analysis of the classical texts than history / architecture etc. I'm not saying that I would not like to study those aspects as well, but if some universities have proclivities towards one area of study or another it would be really handy to know. Thanks!
    I thought that most classics courses have literature and language as the main focuses, with other areas such as ancient history as optional. For example Oxford, Bristol, Exeter - if your not sure just look up the course on the university's website and it should say there but I think that it's similar in most places.

ReputationRep:
    You probably need to check out subjects like Classical Studies etc which often focus more on literature than the history etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oxford, Cambridge, UCL off the top of my head. As above, most Classics courses focus on reading the original literature in the language(s). A heavier emphasis on history is usually found in Ancient History courses, archaeology and history of art in Classical Archaeology courses, and both/either (as well as texts in translation) in Classical Civilsation/Studies courses.

If you don't want to study the texts in their original language(s), then you'll need to look at Classical Civilisation/Studies type courses - however as above these usually are more "survey-like" and include a broader array of areas beyond the literature. There may be a couple of Classical Literature degree courses around besides these, and often English Literature courses have the option to study some classical literary texts in translation.

ReputationRep:
    What I've found is that usually "Classics" centers around the languages, "Classical Civilisation" is more on the history side, and "Classical Studies" focuses a lot more on the literature. So if it's the literature side of classics you're interested in, just type in "Classical Studies" on the UCAS Course Finder and loads of unis will come up

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 26, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.