Searching for a classics course with an option for literature-based study.

Watch
username3949494
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering which universities offer a greater focus on the analysis of the classical texts than history / architecture etc. I'm not saying that I would not like to study those aspects as well, but if some universities have proclivities towards one area of study or another it would be really handy to know. Thanks!
Advertisement
ThePersonIsMe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jass R)
I was wondering which universities offer a greater focus on the analysis of the classical texts than history / architecture etc. I'm not saying that I would not like to study those aspects as well, but if some universities have proclivities towards one area of study or another it would be really handy to know. Thanks!
I thought that most classics courses have literature and language as the main focuses, with other areas such as ancient history as optional. For example Oxford, Bristol, Exeter - if your not sure just look up the course on the university's website and it should say there but I think that it's similar in most places.
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You probably need to check out subjects like Classical Studies etc which often focus more on literature than the history etc
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oxford, Cambridge, UCL off the top of my head. As above, most Classics courses focus on reading the original literature in the language(s). A heavier emphasis on history is usually found in Ancient History courses, archaeology and history of art in Classical Archaeology courses, and both/either (as well as texts in translation) in Classical Civilsation/Studies courses.

If you don't want to study the texts in their original language(s), then you'll need to look at Classical Civilisation/Studies type courses - however as above these usually are more "survey-like" and include a broader array of areas beyond the literature. There may be a couple of Classical Literature degree courses around besides these, and often English Literature courses have the option to study some classical literary texts in translation.
mjd7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What I've found is that usually "Classics" centers around the languages, "Classical Civilisation" is more on the history side, and "Classical Studies" focuses a lot more on the literature. So if it's the literature side of classics you're interested in, just type in "Classical Studies" on the UCAS Course Finder and loads of unis will come up
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (509)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (626)
41.46%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (306)
20.26%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.57%

Watched Threads