Batman2k1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
When answering a physics question, how many significant figures do i do for the question?

Lets say there are 2 values, 20, 200, do i do the sf to 2 sf or 3sf???

can someone help me on this?
MyChemicalGarden
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the question tells you explicity how many sig figs, use that for the rest of the question, do not add any more sig figs in later parts of the same question.

If it is not explicitly given, it depends on the context and you need to use common sense.
For example, if I said I have a mass of rougly 7kg and throw it with a force of around 7.6N, it wouldnt be smart to say the acceleration is 1.081, as I have added accuracy to my answer which never existed in the first place. It would be best to say 1.1ms^-1, which is the greatest precision I had to calculate the acceleration in the first place.

hope that makes sense
username3947384
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MyChemicalGarden)
If it is not explicitly given, it depends on the context and you need to use common sense.
For example, if I said I have a mass of rougly 7kg and throw it with a force of around 7.6N, it wouldnt be smart to say the acceleration is 1.081, as I have added accuracy to my answer which never existed in the first place. It would be best to say 1.1ms^-1, which is the greatest precision I had to calculate the acceleration in the first place.
Would it not be 1ms^-1 because 1 (7kg is 1 significant figure) is the smallest significant figure within your calculations?
Batman2k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by xstatic)
Would it not be 1ms^-1 because 1 (7kg is 1 significant figure) is the smallest significant figure within your calculations?
Yes i was thinking this too.. could you elaborate on this please
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xstatic)
yes, you need to use the lowest accuracy in the question, otherwise it's not accurate (seems counter intuitive by rounding your answer but it's true!).

If you have values of 1.00, 2.0119 and 2.001, you round to 3 sig fig.

So the example used with 7kg and 7.6N, that should be rounded to 1 sig fig.

It is imperative however to show how you get 1ms^-1. In other words, show what number you rounded from to get 1ms^-1, otherwise you'll get no credit on some questions (stupid but they're marks you shouldn't be losing).
MyChemicalGarden
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Batman2k1)
Yes i was thinking this too.. could you elaborate on this please
Yes, sorry, i meant to put 7.0kg. The main point is not to add accuracy which never existed in the first place
Batman2k1
Rep:
?
Oh okay, thanks guys.
I think i know why, i get marks deducted when carrying out a practical, as i do an accuracy that was not required for the raw data.
What if the results i got was 0, 5.5, 10,
if i put 0 as a result, would it be 0.0 or just 0, i seen my friend who just did 0, and i just put the accuracy of 0 to 0.00 in this case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.49%
No, but I have thought about it (55)
28.06%
No (93)
47.45%

Watched Threads