IB NINA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all!

So I'm starting the IB next year and I was wondering if there was any advice people could give me about what I should prepare for during my summer but also what things I should really focus on and just general advice. The classes I plan to take are Psychology, Spanish, Math Studies, Theatre, English Language & Literature, and Biology. Every bit of advice I can get about literally anything, including CAS, TOK AND EE.
Shaunie3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need to prepare for anything. Enjoy your summer!!! Find lots of things to do!!

I would advise that for CAS, make sure you do as many activities as possible and keep up with the reflections. Don't leave it until the deadline last minute like I did lol.

When you start the EE make sure you have as much research as possible (depending on what subject you choose) and ask your teachers for help too. Also, always reference your sources!! This is the same for your TOK essay too.

And lastly, it does get intense, but it's worth it in the end! Enjoy the next few years!
IB NINA
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!!!!!!! I appreciate the advise
Shaunie3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you have any more questions on the IB you can ask !
IB NINA
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shaunie3)
If you have any more questions on the IB you can ask !
I understand what EE and CAS is and how to go about it . I think the one thing that there isn’t much info online about it TOK. Could u explain the course and kind of what the essay is ?
Shaunie3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll try my best. If you still don't understand I'll find a website for you to check it out. So TOK (Theory of Knowledge) is about finding out what we know and the nature of knowledge itself. At first, no one understood what it was about, but over time you'll find that you will adjust to it.

There are two different types of knowing in TOK:

Ways of Knowing. the ways of knowing help us to understand where our knowledge could derive from. Some of the ways include: Language, Imagination, Intuition, Faith and Emotion (there are more!)

Areas of Knowing: how knowledge is applied to the real world, for example, in the Natural Sciences, Art, Religion and Ethics (there are more for this too)

In TOK you use these forms of knowing to question whether our knowledge is reliable, how we posess it and how to improve it. It does has a very philosophical way of learning, so there are no right or wrong answers in this course!!

With the essay, the exam board give 5-6 general statements, where you have to pick one statement and write a 1600 word essay on it. It can be on anything that you have to use the ways and the areas of knowing in order to get the marks. So for example, for my essay, the statement I picked was about whether we are confident when we know something really well or not. For my essay, the ways of knowing I used were Language and Imagination and the areas of knowing I used were the Human Sciences and The Arts. With that I added my own examples from my personal knowledge as well as getting references online. You then have to complete a form where you reflect upon the process of creating your essay.

Your TOK presentation is just like the essay, but you don't get given statements to choose from. You can present about anything as long as it's not cliche and you use the ways and areas of knowing. You should do the presentation in at least 10 minutes to get the top marks.

I hope this helped, if not you should check out some example TOK presentations online, but there is definitely information on what TOK is. By the end, you'll forget that you even did TOK!
IB NINA
Rep:
?
Your anwser has made it so clear for me! Thank you!! Just as a general q . What HL and SL did you take?
Shaunie3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IB NINA)
Your anwser has made it so clear for me! Thank you!! Just as a general q . What HL and SL did you take?
You're welcome! Okay so the subjects I take:

HL Anthropology
HL English Literature
HL Psychology

SL Environmental Systems and Societies
SL French ab initio
SL Maths studies
IB NINA
Rep:
?
Oh cool! I’m going to be taking Psych HL too!!
Shaunie3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IB NINA)
Oh cool! I’m going to be taking Psych HL too!!
It's really good and you'll learn many topics!
yara560
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would advise that while you're learning content in school, make it a habit to constantly review - and I mean CONSTANTLY. This will really pay off when your exams come along. For your subjects, I would advise looking at the syllabus online and trying to familiarise yourself with it - especially biology. Biology is very content heavy and it would be great if you could get a head start! As for your other subjects, do NOT neglect your IAs, they will really help you in achieving your target grades in the final exams, especially if you do worse on the exams.

Finally, try and finish most of your CAS in the first year DP!

Hope this helps, and be prepared for an intensive two years.
IB NINA
Rep:
?
Thank you!!!
utuxotwod
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol don't do the IB you're gonna die trust me just do A Levels much easier
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (305)
55.76%
I don't have everything I need (242)
44.24%

Watched Threads