OkThanksBye
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi i'm currently doing my GCSE's and I want to do English in some way but i'm not sure what way. I'm predicted 8s in both. I've looked at the language papers and they look really different to GCSE as in one question you have to analyse a 7 year old's teacher's feedback. I was also looking at the literature papers but i'm not a big reader. Some advice
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lang i've heard tends to be very technical and requires a lot of memorisation, i think you learn about linguistics and how they change etc.
english lit you're expected to do a lot wider reading eg. critical texts and expand your analysis. there's probably other demands too.
i can't give you the best advice as i'm not doing a-levels at the moment, i'll tag CinnamonSmol as i believe she does the english lit and lang course at a-level- she'll probably give you better advice.
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
lang i've heard tends to be very technical and requires a lot of memorisation, i think you learn about linguistics and how they change etc.
english lit you're expected to do a lot wider reading eg. critical texts and expand your analysis. there's probably other demands too.
i can't give you the best advice as i'm not doing a-levels at the moment, i'll tag CinnamonSmol as i believe she does the english lit and lang course at a-level- she'll probably give you better advice.
Thanks
mglcoe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im also wanting to do english and although i liked the look of both i picked lit as it seems to be much better recieve (its a facilitating) and just generally more prestigious
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks entertainmyfaith
First off just want to reference @mglcoe post about English Lit having more 'prestige', generally this is true but usually only amongst students who've heard that rumour from other students. If you want to do English Lit/English at uni then its true that English Language probably wont be accepted as an alternative to English Lit at A-level, however most uni's (including Cambridge) view the combined English Literature and Language a-level just as acceptable. I would probably steer away from listening to those who tell you about Lit/Lang + lang being seen as 'soft' -this applies to your subjects too

In English Lit/Lang, we basically learn about the language used in literature (something called stylistics) its basically where we learn about different Language techniques (semantic fields, phonological features, asyndetic listing, etc) and how they're used in novels and poems, you also learn about a few theories from the literature side. I personally love the course because you get to do the best parts of both courses, my sister did English Language and then English Literature separately at A-level and now studies English at university now, she's basically doing what I'm doing now and she prefers it way more. It's probably because you can still express yourself and suggest connotations of texts yet still have a more structured argument using language levels if you're stuck on what to say. Im happy to answer any more questions you may have
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
Thanks entertainmyfaith
First off just want to reference @mglcoe post about English Lit having more 'prestige', generally this is true but usually only amongst students who've heard that rumour from other students. If you want to do English Lit/English at uni then its true that English Language probably wont be accepted as an alternative to English Lit at A-level, however most uni's (including Cambridge) view the combined English Literature and Language a-level just as acceptable. I would probably steer away from listening to those who tell you about Lit/Lang + lang being seen as 'soft' -this applies to your subjects too

In English Lit/Lang, we basically learn about the language used in literature (something called stylistics) its basically where we learn about different Language techniques (semantic fields, phonological features, asyndetic listing, etc) and how they're used in novels and poems, you also learn about a few theories from the literature side. I personally love the course because you get to do the best parts of both courses, my sister did English Language and then English Literature separately at A-level and now studies English at university now, she's basically doing what I'm doing now and she prefers it way more. It's probably because you can still express yourself and suggest connotations of texts yet still have a more structured argument using language levels if you're stuck on what to say. Im happy to answer any more questions you may have
Thank you,
At the moment I’m not sure whether I want to go to university but if I do I’d probably go to a Russell group and take law or business. I’m also not a big reader so taking these things into account what do you think I should take. I’m predicted 8s in both but my literature is leaning towards a 7 btw.
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OkThanksBye (oops sorry i thought i replied!) first of all, congrats on such good predicted grades, hopefully you'll do well if you honestly really really dislike reading then i would tell you to go for english language, if you dont mind it or arent sure then i would go for lit and lang, mosy people in my class are stronger on the lit side just because the language asoect of it makes it easier to analyse if that makes sense. Like for example, Im studying Handmaids Tale and I know someone whos doing it also but for English Literature they analyse the book in a way which is kind of complicated bc they use a few theories like marxism and feminism and then write whole analysis off of that whereas in lit and lang, you have a few theories to learn -such as the panopticon concept or what makes a gothic novel- and then you use aspects of language, so what devixes are used and you use these two things to help you analyse what it shows about the text, it sounds harder but its actually better as these things help mold your answer. the two sides of engkish balance each other out and it makes the lit side easier and more fun to learn about. maybe look into the course your potential college/sixth form is providing, after all im doing AQA so it may be different, and see what they say too. If youre more creative but like the technichal side to english id say go for English language, but if you want to also be able to have some free reign when analysing go for lit lang, sorry i cant give you a clear cut answer, its really hinestly down to how much yoy enjoy english. (ps dont worry ahout being stronger in one english and weaker in another, if you enjoy them botb then go for it! youll be much more motivated that way, i actually hated language at gcse but absolutely love it now)
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
OkThanksBye (oops sorry i thought i replied!) first of all, congrats on such good predicted grades, hopefully you'll do well if you honestly really really dislike reading then i would tell you to go for english language, if you dont mind it or arent sure then i would go for lit and lang, mosy people in my class are stronger on the lit side just because the language asoect of it makes it easier to analyse if that makes sense. Like for example, Im studying Handmaids Tale and I know someone whos doing it also but for English Literature they analyse the book in a way which is kind of complicated bc they use a few theories like marxism and feminism and then write whole analysis off of that whereas in lit and lang, you have a few theories to learn -such as the panopticon concept or what makes a gothic novel- and then you use aspects of language, so what devixes are used and you use these two things to help you analyse what it shows about the text, it sounds harder but its actually better as these things help mold your answer. the two sides of engkish balance each other out and it makes the lit side easier and more fun to learn about. maybe look into the course your potential college/sixth form is providing, after all im doing AQA so it may be different, and see what they say too. If youre more creative but like the technichal side to english id say go for English language, but if you want to also be able to have some free reign when analysing go for lit lang, sorry i cant give you a clear cut answer, its really hinestly down to how much yoy enjoy english. (ps dont worry ahout being stronger in one english and weaker in another, if you enjoy them botb then go for it! youll be much more motivated that way, i actually hated language at gcse but absolutely love it now)
Thanks for your advice I think I’m gonna do some research into it and then decide
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OkThanksBye)
Thanks for your advice I think I’m gonna do some research into it and then decide
let me know what you decide good luck for your exams!
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey!

I do both at A-Level so I'll be able to help you out here! Currently on grade A's for both, coming to the end of Year 12, both 8's at GCSE.

For Language: At my college we look into language change over time (from the invention of the printing press, the influence of the bible and Shakespeare, trading e.c.t and how that altered language). We look at regional dialects and how they are formed, world English, language and gender and then language and occupation and how that affects the language we use. For paper 1, it is analysing texts like you will be familiar with at GCSE, but in much more detail and looking at how certain language features and word classes are used to affect the reader (and how it fits the genre, audience and purpose of the text). It is a fun course but a lot to learn in year 12, however if you pay attention and go over your notes every now and again it you'll be completely fine, just a lot of theories and theorists to learn!

For Literature: At my college we do Death of a Salesman, Tess Of the d'Urbervilles and Othello in year 12. I'll be 100% honest, I haven't read any of them and it hasn't impacted my grades in any way. Just make sure you KNOW the plot and important quotations, if there is a film watch it but make sure you read up the differences between the film you watched and the actual novel. Lit is a very fun course, often philosophical however you have to be very comfortable talking about human nature and all aspects of it. It is a facilitating subject which is a bonus, however I wouldn't just choose it based on that, make sure you are passionate about the subject. Make sure you have opinions and a writing style which you can express those opinions in, learning to write an academic essay comes after the expression.

I do AQA for both, however I'd check with your chosen college or sixth form about the courses since they may be different. If you don't get the grades your expected, don't worry! If you work hard and are passionate about the subjects, you will do well. There are people in my classes who got 5's at GCSE and are now on B grades. If you want to know about courseworks, feel free to pm me or ask here! Good luck!
OkThanksBye
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Evelynlikestea;77909794]Hey!

I do both at A-Level so I'll be able to help you out here! Currently on grade A's for both, coming to the end of Year 12, both 8's at GCSE.

For Language: At my college we look into language change over time (from the invention of the printing press, the influence of the bible and Shakespeare, trading e.c.t and how that altered language). We look at regional dialects and how they are formed, world English, language and gender and then language and occupation and how that affects the language we use. For paper 1, it is analysing texts like you will be familiar with at GCSE, but in much more detail and looking at how certain language features and word classes are used to affect the reader (and how it fits the genre, audience and purpose of the text). It is a fun course but a lot to learn in year 12, however if you pay attention and go over your notes every now and again it you'll be completely fine, just a lot of theories and theorists to learn!

For Literature: At my college we do Death of a Salesman, Tess Of the d'Urbervilles and Othello in year 12. I'll be 100% honest, I haven't read any of them and it hasn't impacted my grades in any way. Just make sure you KNOW the plot and important quotations, if there is a film watch it but make sure you read up the differences between the film you watched and the actual novel. Lit is a very fun course, often philosophical however you have to be very comfortable talking about human nature and all aspects of it. It is a facilitating subject which is a bonus, however I wouldn't just choose it based on that, make sure you are passionate about the subject. Make sure you have opinions and a writing style which you can express those opinions in, learning to write an academic essay comes after the expression.

I do AQA for both, however I'd check with your chosen college or sixth form about the courses since they may be different. If you don't get the grades your expected, don't worry! If you work hard and are passionate about the subjects, you will do well. There are people in my classes who got 5's at GCSE and are now on B grades. If you want to know about courseworks, feel free to pm me or ask here! Good luck![/QUOTE

Hi, thanks for the advice l, I’ve just finished the lit papers and I think I’m looking at a 7, the language papers are next week and if I do my best I could get a 9. My English teacher said that the content for lit is very hard and the reading is intensive but if you’re saying that you don’t even have to read the books then that’s a plus, especially for me. Lit being a facilitating is a big deal for me because I’m not sure what I want to do in the future and I want to have lots of options open. However if I were to get a 9 in Lang wouldn’t it be a bit silly to not take it at A-level as I do enjoy it. Literature wise I really only poetry. Would taking the combined still count as a facilitating?
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OkThanksBye)
Hi i'm currently doing my GCSE's and I want to do English in some way but i'm not sure what way. I'm predicted 8s in both. I've looked at the language papers and they look really different to GCSE as in one question you have to analyse a 7 year old's teacher's feedback. I was also looking at the literature papers but i'm not a big reader. Some advice
I do Literature, and I HATE LANGUAGE. You learn about nouns, abstract nouns, verbs, dynamic verbs, in language, and it isn't fun in my opinion, whereas with literature it is subjective, you can broaden your knowledge on technical terms such as: Iambic tetrameters, Parallelism, Odes, Sonnets, Terza Rima, and it's more enjoyable. I never liked language, due to the fact it focuses more on debates, and how the world is, whereas with Literature it is more creative. But it is your choice.
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=OkThanksBye;77912468]
(Original post by Evelynlikestea)
Hey!

I do AQA for both, however I'd check with your chosen college or sixth form about the courses since they may be different. If you don't get the grades your expected, don't worry! If you work hard and are passionate about the subjects, you will do well. There are people in my classes who got 5's at GCSE and are now on B grades. If you want to know about courseworks, feel free to pm me or ask here! Good luck![/QUOTE

Hi, thanks for the advice l, I’ve just finished the lit papers and I think I’m looking at a 7, the language papers are next week and if I do my best I could get a 9. My English teacher said that the content for lit is very hard and the reading is intensive but if you’re saying that you don’t even have to read the books then that’s a plus, especially for me. Lit being a facilitating is a big deal for me because I’m not sure what I want to do in the future and I want to have lots of options open. However if I were to get a 9 in Lang wouldn’t it be a bit silly to not take it at A-level as I do enjoy it. Literature wise I really only poetry. Would taking the combined still count as a facilitating?
I don't think the content is that much harder, I think it's just the workload that increases and the levels of understanding you need for the texts, however if you enjoy them this should be an issue. Attempting to read the books is always good, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't as long as you understand the themes and know key quotes. Lit is facilitating, however language is still quite highly regarded by universities (or at least the ones I've spoken to) but if you're worried about not knowing what you want to do in the future, take A-Levels that you ENJOY and don't worry about if they are facilitating or not- it isn't the end of the world and honestly, universities and employers don't really care as long as you work hard. With that in mind obviously you can't take astrophysics at university without having done physics and probably maths at A-Level, however generally a good GCSE grade suffices. So honestly, do what you enjoy, not what is facilitating because it will make you miserable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (111)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (332)
15.03%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (238)
10.77%
Lack of purpose or motivation (306)
13.85%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (102)
4.62%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (127)
5.75%
Loneliness (191)
8.65%
Financial worries (86)
3.89%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (93)
4.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (103)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (118)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (193)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (209)
9.46%

Watched Threads