The Student Room Group

Clinical psychology (&degree)

Hi there
What is the route to becoming a clinical psychologist
All I know is that you can do psychology in university undergraduate for 3 years.

What next?

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!
BPS has all info on their website.
To become a clinical psychologist you require a PhD in clinical psychology. So you would need to complete your undergraduate followed by the PhD.

The PhD programme is a professional doctorate and extremely competitive. Most people don’t make it in first time round and most tend to have a couple of years experience as a psychologist’s assistant or some other form of work experience with another large portion having a masters degree.
Original post by Daveboi115
To become a clinical psychologist you require a PhD in clinical psychology. So you would need to complete your undergraduate followed by the PhD.

The PhD programme is a professional doctorate and extremely competitive. Most people don’t make it in first time round and most tend to have a couple of years experience as a psychologist’s assistant or some other form of work experience with another large portion having a masters degree.

Thank you
So straight after the undergraduate you do the PhD? You don't have to do postgraduate?
What helps to get in first time round?
Experience?

Do you recommend this job?

Thanks
What's the difference between a PhD and masters?
A PhD is a postgraduate course. You can try to get in straight after your undergraduate but it is very difficult as I’ve stated. In most cases it’s experience that is being looked for so they can see you have a good clear idea of what will be required of you during your training and career.

To be clear, I can neither persuade nor dissuade you from such a career as I have no experience of it. My girlfriend is currently in final year of her psychology undergraduate and she wishes to go into clinical so I get all my information from her as regards this topic.

What I would recommend however, is a book called “Skeleton Cupboard” by Tanya Byron. It’s a book I bought my girlfriend written by a clinical psychologist about her experiences in training and qualifying. Quite a few things learnt from that book, she really enjoyed it so perhaps it could help you out.
Original post by Ariel2611
What's the difference between a PhD and masters?

A PhD is the highest qualification an individual can hold. The order of heirarchy goes BSc, MSc, PhD. Or whichever designations are assigned for your studies. After a PhD you obtain the title “Doctor” since the PhD stands for “Doctor of Philosophy”.
A PhD is a postgraduate course. You can try to get in straight after your undergraduate but it is very difficult as I’ve stated. In most cases it’s experience that is being looked for so they can see you have a good clear idea of what will be required of you during your training and career.

To be clear, I can neither persuade nor dissuade you from such a career as I have no experience of it. My girlfriend is currently in final year of her psychology undergraduate and she wishes to go into clinical so I get all my information from her as regards this topic.

What I would recommend however, is a book called “Skeleton Cupboard” by Tanya Byron. It’s a book I bought my girlfriend written by a clinical psychologist about her experiences in training and qualifying. Quite a few things learnt from that book, she really enjoyed it so perhaps it could help you out.

Thank you!
Is your girlfriend in her final years of her PhD?
So one year away from her doctorate?
What did she get in her psychology A level?
How is clinical psychology to her?

Sorry! Just curious

Thank you!
A PhD is the highest qualification an individual can hold. The order of heirarchy goes BSc, MSc, PhD. Or whichever designations are assigned for your studies. After a PhD you obtain the title “Doctor” since the PhD stands for “Doctor of Philosophy”.

Oh okay
Thank you!
Original post by Ariel2611
Thank you!
Is your girlfriend in her final years of her PhD?
So one year away from her doctorate?
What did she get in her psychology A level?
How is clinical psychology to her?

Sorry! Just curious

Thank you!

No she’s in her final year of her undergraduate degree I.e the BSc. So she’ll be attempting to get experience for he next couple of years before applying to her PhD post.

She didn’t do Psychology as an A-level it’s not a requirement!

Quick Reply

Latest