Two men freed after 26 years after woman admitted she lied about being raped Watch

Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/n...ttan-rape.html

The woman, dirty, disheveled and in tears, ran over to a patrol car parked along a Harlem street in the early morning of Jan. 18, 1991. She told police officers she had been kidnapped at knife point near her home in Queens and raped by three black men, whom she identified.Before the end of the month, the police arrested two of the men she had named — Gregory Counts, then 19, and VanDyke Perry, then 21. They were charged with rape, sodomy, kidnapping and criminal possession of a weapon, according to court records. The third man was never caught.

Investigators had no physical evidence. Semen recovered from the woman did not match the two accused men. The prosecution’s case relied heavily on her testimony, which was inconsistent. The defense argued the woman, a recovering crack addict, fabricated the story to protect her boyfriend, who had shot Mr. Perry two months earlier and was wanted by the police, court records show.
k.n.h.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A huge portion of these men's lives have been taken due to this false accusation of this spiteful woman. Unbelievable - I'm just glad technology is advanced enough and that the case was revised to prove them innocent.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
She should go to prison for 26 years imo.
student2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dont understand how that was allowed to happen at all, I agree with you 100% that she should face legal consequences for what she did. Couldn't imagine being in jail never mind being in jail for something you didnt even do, for that long , it also makes people less likely to trust those who actually were raped.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perhaps a community order, picking litter?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Give her 26 yeas.
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Give her those years.

Imagine the roles reversed, and imagine the backslash from the community.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (273)
66.1%
No (140)
33.9%

Watched Threads