The Student Room Group

Changes to way Solicitors are to qualify.

How does everyone feel in regards to the set changes by the SRA to take place in 2020?

It appears there will no longer be a need for the LLB/GDL/LPC. Now it seems that any degree will suffice, alongside the two years of qualifying legal work experience.

In my experience the LPC was a complete waste of time; I only did it as I did not have to pay. I do, however, believe that there should be some formal academic study of law before going on to qualify.

I am interested to hear your opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desmoulins1190
How does everyone feel in regards to the set changes by the SRA to take place in 2020?

It appears there will no longer be a need for the LLB/GDL/LPC. Now it seems that any degree will suffice, alongside the two years of qualifying legal work experience.

In my experience the LPC was a complete waste of time; I only did it as I did not have to pay. I do, however, believe that there should be some formal academic study of law before going on to qualify.

I've yet to sit the LPC so cannot say whether it's a waste of time, but i think these proposed changes will only confuse things and will obv take a lot of time in order to work seamlessly. I understand the aim is to have a broader set of students all with one level of competency, but the SRA has hardly given any guidance as to current students or those aiming to qualify before 2020 just outlined proposals. Is there any financial benefit? or is it all to do with a standard of competence? Not to mention all the conflicting information in regards to current students/employers aiming to qualify in 2020:/ x
I havent looked into this. Can i just confirm are you saying in 2020 if you wanna be a solictor any degree will do, given you do 2 years of work experience?

I completely agree.

I also think it doesn't make sense to be assessed by work experience alone - for example, if the firm you are at is not training you and you have no idea what to do, but they say you are qualified, there is no incentive to complain because you want to qualify. How is this going to be regulated?

Also, with the new exams, places like ULaw and BPP are obviously going to start running prep classes for that, and if firms don't have to sponsor you any longer, it is going to become so that only people who can self-fund are lawyers.

I honestly don't understand what any benefit with the new procedure will be or what the problem with the current way is...
Original post by choco_monsterxo
I havent looked into this. Can i just confirm are you saying in 2020 if you wanna be a solictor any degree will do, given you do 2 years of work experience?

If you want to be a Solicitor, should you not be looking into this? I assume you keep up with 'legal news'?
If you want to be a Solicitor, should you not be looking into this? I assume you keep up with 'legal news'?

no need to be rude, i just asked
Original post by jenbrown1234
I completely agree.

I also think it doesn't make sense to be assessed by work experience alone - for example, if the firm you are at is not training you and you have no idea what to do, but they say you are qualified, there is no incentive to complain because you want to qualify. How is this going to be regulated?

Also, with the new exams, places like ULaw and BPP are obviously going to start running prep classes for that, and if firms don't have to sponsor you any longer, it is going to become so that only people who can self-fund are lawyers.

I honestly don't understand what any benefit with the new procedure will be or what the problem with the current way is...

Two separate exams determine whether qualify or not - work experience alone does not qualify you.

It is meant to be much cheaper than the current route, and I have no idea if firms will continue to sponsor trainees. I'd imagine they would.
Two separate exams determine whether qualify or not - work experience alone does not qualify you.

It is meant to be much cheaper than the current route, and I have no idea if firms will continue to sponsor trainees. I'd imagine they would.

I know there are exams, but the work experience would be a large component of the qualification, no? If they get you to do paper work for two years that should not go towards qualifying you...
I completely agree.

I am not sure why firms would stop supporting students financially from completing SQE2, given you could have already started working at the firm as a trainee when you take it. The benefit is likely that under the current system, if you are self-funding the LPC, you're going to get it for no less than 10k. Under the new system, you could theoretically self-teach from books found in your local library. It should be less expensive and I hope it will open up the legal profession a whole lot more, and see little reason for saying it will close the profession up to a wealthy few.

I don't understand the point you're making about people being assessed by "work experience alone". People will be assessed via the two SQE exams, to a universal level. That is, SQE1 (currently LLB/GDL with subjective marking in between, by uni and module leaders) will be one test everyone will sit to one marking scheme.* At current, once you pass the LPC (or SQE2), there is little assessment of your training beyond your having done it and firms' being content that you are ready to be considered qualified. Under the current system, it is still left to the firms to decide when you're ready.

*The theory is also that they will make the SQE2 harder than the current LPC, which is wildly regarded as a year you can piss about in. Maybe you could make the argument about 1, for students coming from less rigorous unis. Conversely, less rigorous unis are usually practice-facing and maybe them lot will have an easier time answering quite practical legal questions of 1.
I know there are exams, but the work experience would be a large component of the qualification, no? If they get you to do paper work for two years that should not go towards qualifying you...

I believe it does qualify as a major component, especially since they highlight that you should sit it during stage 1 and aim to complete it after stage 2. But on the bright side, it means you don't really need to find a training contract because it can be any form of legal work experience as long as it's under 4 different companies in the space of 2 years.
Original post by Notoriety
I am not sure why firms would stop supporting students financially from completing SQE2, given you could have already started working at the firm as a trainee when you take it. The benefit is likely that under the current system, if you are self-funding the LPC, you're going to get it for no less than 10k. Under the new system, you could theoretically self-teach from books found in your local library. It should be less expensive and I hope it will open up the legal profession a whole lot more, and see little reason for saying it will close the profession up to a wealthy few.

I don't understand the point you're making about people being assessed by "work experience alone". People will be assessed via the two SQE exams, to a universal level. That is, SQE1 (currently LLB/GDL with subjective marking in between, by uni and module leaders) will be one test everyone will sit to one marking scheme.* At current, once you pass the LPC (or SQE2), there is little assessment of your training beyond your having done it and firms' being content that you are ready to be considered qualified. Under the current system, it is still left to the firms to decide when you're ready.

*The theory is also that they will make the SQE2 harder than the current LPC, which is wildly regarded as a year you can piss about in. Maybe you could make the argument about 1, for students coming from less rigorous unis. Conversely, less rigorous unis are usually practice-facing and maybe them lot will have an easier time answering quite practical legal questions of 1.

I read that you can do work experience at multiple firms, meaning that it would be very different from the current two year training contract.
Original post by rhussain1
I believe it does qualify as a major component, especially since they highlight that you should sit it during stage 1 and aim to complete it after stage 2. But on the bright side, it means you don't really need to find a training contract because it can be any form of legal work experience as long as it's under 4 different companies in the space of 2 years.

At least with a training contract you have security and are getting paid for two years, with a very good chance of getting a job on qualification. The new route doesn't seem to offer that security, meaning you could spend two years doing various pieces or work experience and have no job to go to at the end... I'm just not sure what the argument against training contracts is? Is it just that you get a wider range of experience? I just feel like at least if it is all at one place you know that there will be no gaps in your knowledge as it is all provided in a measured way.
I read that you can do work experience at multiple firms, meaning that it would be very different from the current two year training contract.

Well, under the current system trainees can be and are regularly seconded. There are other ways where de facto multiple firms can be involved in the training. It is not a world of difference, only in emphasis. That is, the new system might emphasise a trainee moving about a bit under shorter contract lengths (available for extension should the trainee show promise) whereas under the current system it might be ignored.

Even if several firms are involved, it is not that much different in assessment. That is, it is to the discretion of the firm(s) to decide when the trainee is done and up to the firms to prepare them for practice. Do you think that a leading US firm's trainee is going to be to the same level as a high street firm's trainee? No, they can train the trainee in different ways. Probably actually both hands-on from the off, relative to the large regional or MC/SC, but the level of competence will undoubtedly be different.
(edited 5 years ago)
At least with a training contract you have security and are getting paid for two years, with a very good chance of getting a job on qualification. The new route doesn't seem to offer that security, meaning you could spend two years doing various pieces or work experience and have no job to go to at the end... I'm just not sure what the argument against training contracts is? Is it just that you get a wider range of experience? I just feel like at least if it is all at one place you know that there will be no gaps in your knowledge as it is all provided in a measured way.

No, i agree with you completely. I just meant that an SRA argument, for the change, is that the need for a training contract disappears since its hard for people to successfully obtain one, I can kind of see where they're coming from in regards to this point if theyre aiming to broaden the types of students wanting to qualify. But I still think that it'll cause inconsistency and confusion as per my first post.

There are more interesting ways to spend your evenings.
Well, under the current system trainees can be seconded. There are other ways where de facto multiple firms can be involved in the training. It is not a world of difference, only in emphasis. That is, the new system might emphasise a trainee moving about a bit under shorter contract lengths (available for extension should the trainee show promise).

Even if several firms are involved, it is not that much different in assessment. That is, it is to the discretion of the firm(s) to decide when the trainee is done and up to the firms to prepare them for practice. Do you think that a leading US firm's trainee is going to be to the same level as a high street firm's trainee? No, they can train the trainee in different ways. Probably actually both hands-on from the off, relative to the large regional or MC/SC, but the level of competence will undoubtedly be different.

True. I more was referring to the issue of sponsorship - how would it work if no one firm is solely responsible for you and feels they are investing in you are as future lawyer at their firm?
True. I more was referring to the issue of sponsorship - how would it work if no one firm is solely responsible for you and feels they are investing in you are as future lawyer at their firm?

Well, it is a possibility rather than the norm. I suspect that large firms are going to continue mainly using 2-year contracts. Maybe you could have 6-month contracts, where each firm promises to pay 25% for each 6-month period you're with them. I mean, firms are not monsters; they're not the criminal bar. They want to attract the best and brightest, and I think it unlikely that they're going to leave trainees skint.

@J-SP might have some ideas about a firm's sponsoring trainees' SQE exams, who are moving about a bit.
(edited 5 years ago)
There are more interesting ways to spend your evenings.

Like posting on here....
Like posting on here....

Well, yes. On here everyone else reads the legal news and summarises it for you; you can then go about preparing for marathons, teaching yourself Arabic, reading all of Dickens again. No need to read tedious legal news.
Well, yes. On here everyone else reads the legal news and summarises it for you; you can then go about preparing for marathons, teaching yourself Arabic, reading all of Dickens again. No need to read tedious legal news.

The fairest of points.

I'm debating as to whether to just scrap applying for TC's and go straight ahead with the work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending