How to answer a Problem Question on Pure Economic Loss?

Watch
abdulrabp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is there a pattern and im really confused with the caparo test regarding its application with hedley case?
Spud27
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The law was set out in Hedley Byrne showing the 3 parts needed to make a claim a) need for a special relationship b) for the Defendant to be an expert in the area of advice and c) reasonable reliance. However the courts were concerned about opening the floodgates so they added in the additional parts in Caparo I.e. known purpose, known user, that D knew the advice was to be acted upon, that there was actual reliance (I.e. they didn’t get advice from anyone else) and loss.

When you discuss the first two parts you have to make sure you state that a social relationship does not normally give rise to a duty but will do so in a Chaudhry v Prabhaker situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads