Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Gotta do these salts questions.. We were basically told to read the pages on the text book and do the questions and I don't get it at all.. I don't expect you guys to do it for me as I do want to udnerstand it as well, but well I appreciate any help at all

1. Lead carbonate and lead iodide are insoluble. Which two soluble salts could you use in the preparation of each substance? Write
    a. a word equation
    b. a symbol equation
    c. an ionic equation

3. An analytical chemist working for an environmental health organizable has been given a sample of water which is thought to have been contaminated by a sulphate, a carbonate and a chloride.
    a. Describe how she could confirm the presence of these three types of salt by simple chemical tests.
    b. Write ionic equations to help you explain what is happening during the rest process.

IIRC for the first part, look for lead salts that are soluble in water and use two that are above and below each other on the electro-something-or-other series (apologies - I forgot what it's called!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.