Please can someone answer this in brief? Chemistry exam question

Watch
Mohammed Ashfaq
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Explain using suitable examples why understanding the reactions of simple organic molecules is important in living systems. Choose at least three different types of biological molecules having at least two different functional groups and argue the case why study of simple molecules is relevant to the study of larger molecules.
brrrigid
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Which exam board are you on?
Mohammed Ashfaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by brrrigid)
Which exam board are you on?
aqa
username3626988
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
is this gcse or a level???
Mohammed Ashfaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by princesslife)
is this gcse or a level???
a-level as and a2
username3626988
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oh sozzles im taking my gcses this year. i have no idea
username3830258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mohammed Ashfaq)
Explain using suitable examples why understanding the reactions of simple organic molecules is important in living systems. Choose at least three different types of biological molecules having at least two different functional groups and argue the case why study of simple molecules is relevant to the study of larger molecules.
So Disclaimer: I'm doing chem AS so I didn't study this yet but I can help a little using what I learnt in AS Bio.
So they want three types..you can talk about polysaccarides (alkane and alcohol), polypeptides (CO and NH), and nucleic acids ( Phosphate, Ester, NH...etc).
These are all synthesized through reactions of simpler organic molecules (monomers) to make larger polymers through condensation reactions so I guess you can elaborate more on that.
Mohammed Ashfaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by maryam200pol)
So Disclaimer: I'm doing chem AS so I didn't study this yet but I can help a little using what I learnt in AS Bio.
So they want three types..you can talk about polysaccarides (alkane and alcohol), polypeptides (CO and NH), and nucleic acids ( Phosphate, Ester, NH...etc).
These are all synthesized through reactions of simpler organic molecules (monomers) to make larger polymers through condensation reactions so I guess you can elaborate more on that.
Thanks a lot for trying to answer the question. I appreciate it a lot. You got a point in what you said in the last sentence. By knowing which small molecules form larger ones you can form certain molecules to help your body system to function better. Again thanks!!
Mohammed Ashfaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by princesslife)
oh sozzles im taking my gcses this year. i have no idea
No problem. My brother is doing his GCSE's too this year for Chemistry I have my A-Level exams
DunkenDonuts
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mohammed Ashfaq)
a-level as and a2
Organic Molecules include simple monomer units such as monosaccharides, and nucleotide, proteins, and lipids, and etc.

You should know by now that these are some of the most crucial components making up the human body.

For example, triglycerides are needed to make vesicles, which can carry chemicals and etc, in forms of vesicles, and phospholipids help make cell membranes and etc.

If you know basic information regarding these organic molecules, you can answer this question without going in too depth.

If we understand how these molecules work in terms of bonding and etc, in the future we can manipulate how they work to suite modern medicine.
Mohammed Ashfaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by DunkenDonuts)
Organic Molecules include simple monomer units such as monosaccharides, and nucleotide, proteins, and lipids, and etc.

You should know by now that these are some of the most crucial components making up the human body.

For example, triglycerides are needed to make vesicles, which can carry chemicals and etc, in forms of vesicles, and phospholipids help make cell membranes and etc.

If you know basic information regarding these organic molecules, you can answer this question without going in too depth.

If we understand how these molecules work in terms of bonding and etc, in the future we can manipulate how they work to suite modern medicine.
Your the man! Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (105)
50.97%
No (101)
49.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise