Is there a penalty for writing under the word limit? Watch

Sakisaka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
By this i mean under the 10% leniency, usually i'm fine with the required word count and do pretty much exactly how much i'm meant to, but the current essay i'm doing i really feel like theres nothing less for me to talk about and therefore i'm just adding more and more waffle.

I'm happy with what I have but if it gets graded down purely by wordcount then i'm not sure
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Usually yes
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sakisaka)
By this i mean under the 10% leniency, usually i'm fine with the required word count and do pretty much exactly how much i'm meant to, but the current essay i'm doing i really feel like theres nothing less for me to talk about and therefore i'm just adding more and more waffle.

I'm happy with what I have but if it gets graded down purely by wordcount then i'm not sure
It depends on your specific university, but generally, anything outside of the 10% leniency can be penalised.

I have a **** tutor right now who'll complain if I use the full 10% over but within the leniency.
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry, just to add something.

My reaction when finding my essay is exactly the word limit:

Name:  maxresdefault (1).jpg
Views: 46
Size:  85.3 KB

You shouldn't be penalised provided you fit it roughly to the word limit.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sakisaka)

Word counts are never quite exact, but someone reviewing your essay will see the word count and their first question will be 'why'. Was this person rushed for time? Did they not know enough about the topic? Did they not do enough research?

I would recommend that you try to get as close to the word count as possible. One of the easier ways is to search for another couple of references or journal articles and add those in to support the points you've already made.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?