The Student Room Group

bombing of hiroshima

Was bombing Hiroshima necessary or did USA just want to show of to USSR?
Reply 1
I remember reading that at the time of the bombing, Japan were on the verge of surrending and that the war was practically over by that point, but I'm really not that knowledgable about the subject in all honesty. One of my favourite podcasters, Stefan Molyneux, believes that the bombing was unjustified, but I've heard opposing cases that are also commendable, so I'm 50/50 on it. Of course, personally I don't believe that the killing of innocents can at all be morally justified, as the inherent action of killing an innocent is morally indefensible, regardless of the outcome.

[video="youtube;lB3D8dkVFAU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB3D8dkVFAU[/video]
It happened. Ain't nothing gonna undo it.

People who want to make a political point against the Yanks will say the bomb was dropped to warn off the Russians from expanding into Western Europe and that the Pacific war was on the verge of ending anyway, yada yada.

People who agree will say it needed to be done because the nips were honour bound to fight until the death and so many more U.S., allied and Japanese lives would be lost in a fight for every inch of every island. They will cite Okinawa as the proof (150,000 native islander civilians killed, 110,000 Japanese military, 16,000 U.S military and a further 160,000+ casualties on both sides).

The reality is highly likely to be a mixture of both, with the primary objective to end the war and a secondary objective to halt the Russian and Chinese land grab aspirations.

Now 73 years on, we see Chinese colonial expansion into the whole of the South China Seas and the Russian annexation of previously sovereign countries.

All three will not engage in a conventional war because all three have nukes. So we see other 'asymmetric tactics' used, like propaganda, financial sanctions, war game intimidation, arms races, sabre rattling, scaremongering and generally stirring ****.

MAD has prevented nuclear Armageddon but at the cost of regional instability and proxy warfare.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well only 30 years ago America dropped Uranium filled bombs on Serbia over BS 'ethnic cleansing' and fake news.
Yes. Invading Mainland Japan would have cost thousands , possibly even millions of lives.

Quick Reply

Latest