The Student Room Group

Accommodation Issues - Can I do anything or just have to put up with it?

I'm sharing a house with 3/4 of the flatmates I shared with last year, 2 of those since first year. Up until the beginning of the year, things worked out brilliantly. Unfourtunately, this year has just been one problem after another that, despite only having seven weeks left, I just can't put up with anymore. The two major problems are our final flatmate, who was chosen by the landlord not us, and my other flatmate's boyfriend and I want to know what I can do about either of them, or do I just have to put up with it?

The final flatmate is a slob, to put it mildly. He uses other people's stuff without asking, leaving it in a stained and damaged mess. He uses items, such as toilet roll and dish sponges, without ever contributing towards them. He leaves urine on the bathroom floor. He's never cleaned anything in the house. He never cleans his mess up in the kitchen (we have now had mice for the last 9/12 months) even after we've asked him to so. He's loud ALL THE TIME, especially at 2am in the morning when I have to be up at 6am the next day. We've tried being subtle. We've tried being blunt. It hasn't worked.

Then there's my other flatmate's boyfriend. It seems like he's over more than he was last year and while we do get on fairly well, it eventually reaches an 'overdose' point. One of us will say something to another and the other will take it the wrong way; trouble is, both us are fairly non-confrontational until we reach boiling point, then we will bluntly just say what the problem is, not necessarily thinking of the others feelings and therefore entering a vicious cycle. Apparently I owe him an apology for being 'inconsiderate' when he's had a week of long shifts but I'm not allowed the same luxury, in my own home, when I've had a stressful week of lectures and deadlines. Additionally, he gets involved in flat matters when it suits him but when we include him because it concerns him, he goes all, "not my flat, not my problem". Then there's the problems that occur just because of his presence. My room's next to the communal lounge and I have to walk through it to get to the kitchen. When I'm stressed, I get sensory overloaded really easily and more than one person is too much for my anxiety to cope with. When ever the boyfriend's around, he tries to drag everyone into social evenings. Even if it doesn't turn into a full flat games night, the noise of the whole house doubles. His intentions are in the right place when he tries to get me to "come out and relax" but I don't think he really gets that he's actually making things worse. The only place I have to retreat to is my room but even that's not really a sanctuary because I can still hear the noise. I'd try to bring these issues up with my flatmate but I can't get her alone; she only really comes out of her room when the boyfriend's around.

Any help with any of the problems is greatly appreciated.
Get a studio.
Reply 2
Im not sure what you could do about the boyfriend if im honest but regarding the flat mate, have you tried complaining to the landlord?
Reply 3
Original post by vanjie
Im not sure what you could do about the boyfriend if im honest but regarding the flat mate, have you tried complaining to the landlord?

Unfortunately, we're on our third landlords in three years. The first two we dealt with directly, which was something we were after specifically when we leased the house. The latest landlords, which took over after we'd already signed this year's contract, handed over the management of the property to a letting agency. The agent assigned to our property is absolutely useless and doesn't give a f**k. We also didn't get any say over who the final flatmate was because we're on individual contracts and couldn't find someone for the final room. The problems we had with the international student last year pale in comparison to this guy.
Original post by Attybat
I'm sharing a house with 3/4 of the flatmates I shared with last year, 2 of those since first year. Up until the beginning of the year, things worked out brilliantly. Unfourtunately, this year has just been one problem after another that, despite only having seven weeks left, I just can't put up with anymore. The two major problems are our final flatmate, who was chosen by the landlord not us, and my other flatmate's boyfriend and I want to know what I can do about either of them, or do I just have to put up with it?

The final flatmate is a slob, to put it mildly. He uses other people's stuff without asking, leaving it in a stained and damaged mess. He uses items, such as toilet roll and dish sponges, without ever contributing towards them. He leaves urine on the bathroom floor. He's never cleaned anything in the house. He never cleans his mess up in the kitchen (we have now had mice for the last 9/12 months) even after we've asked him to so. He's loud ALL THE TIME, especially at 2am in the morning when I have to be up at 6am the next day. We've tried being subtle. We've tried being blunt. It hasn't worked.

Then there's my other flatmate's boyfriend. It seems like he's over more than he was last year and while we do get on fairly well, it eventually reaches an 'overdose' point. One of us will say something to another and the other will take it the wrong way; trouble is, both us are fairly non-confrontational until we reach boiling point, then we will bluntly just say what the problem is, not necessarily thinking of the others feelings and therefore entering a vicious cycle. Apparently I owe him an apology for being 'inconsiderate' when he's had a week of long shifts but I'm not allowed the same luxury, in my own home, when I've had a stressful week of lectures and deadlines. Additionally, he gets involved in flat matters when it suits him but when we include him because it concerns him, he goes all, "not my flat, not my problem". Then there's the problems that occur just because of his presence. My room's next to the communal lounge and I have to walk through it to get to the kitchen. When I'm stressed, I get sensory overloaded really easily and more than one person is too much for my anxiety to cope with. When ever the boyfriend's around, he tries to drag everyone into social evenings. Even if it doesn't turn into a full flat games night, the noise of the whole house doubles. His intentions are in the right place when he tries to get me to "come out and relax" but I don't think he really gets that he's actually making things worse. The only place I have to retreat to is my room but even that's not really a sanctuary because I can still hear the noise. I'd try to bring these issues up with my flatmate but I can't get her alone; she only really comes out of her room when the boyfriend's around.

Any help with any of the problems is greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear you are in this situation. Unfortunately there isn't a great deal you can do, certainly nothing which can guarantee things will get better. A couple of suggestions though:

1) Re the 4th housemate, perhaps keep toilet roll and sponges in your rooms and just get it out when you need to? That way he can't use what he isn't contributing. Leave dishes that have been festering for days outside his room/in his room.

2) The flatmates boyfriend, have you tried asking if the couple can spend a bit of time at his house? Maybe say you need quiet with exams going on.
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
Sorry to hear you are in this situation. Unfortunately there isn't a great deal you can do, certainly nothing which can guarantee things will get better. A couple of suggestions though:

1) Re the 4th housemate, perhaps keep toilet roll and sponges in your rooms and just get it out when you need to? That way he can't use what he isn't contributing. Leave dishes that have been festering for days outside his room/in his room.

2) The flatmates boyfriend, have you tried asking if the couple can spend a bit of time at his house? Maybe say you need quiet with exams going on.

1) Tried the toilet roll thing but that got annoying. While the dishes are annoying, the constant crumbs on the side are more the issue. I had an encounter with one of our resident rodents at 4 am this morning.

As for 2) a) can't get the flatmate alone to do so. b) they know I just have a placement and coursework left and c) he stops by on his way home from work and she does have exams so he throws the inconsiderate arguement at me (also the bulk of the issue is that up until earlier this week, his flat wasn't considered habitable due to Ahole flatmates of his own.)
It sounds like you've not got long left (a month or two max), before you move out, right? So you need to put up with it :s-smilie: one of my flatmates this year has been a pain (not washing up after themselves, leaving food out on the side etc, we have flies right now), I've tried to confront them but it hasn't done anything, and I know that I could start a fight now, or put up with it until I move out
Reply 7
Original post by JessThomas6
It sounds like you've not got long left (a month or two max), before you move out, right? So you need to put up with it :s-smilie: one of my flatmates this year has been a pain (not washing up after themselves, leaving food out on the side etc, we have flies right now), I've tried to confront them but it hasn't done anything, and I know that I could start a fight now, or put up with it until I move out

That was the conclusion I'd come up with. Was just hoping for any suggestions that would save my sanity - Last week was multiple-deadline-stressful and after an arguement with flatmates boyfriend today (I refused to apologise for something he thought was inconsiderate while I still think was perfectly reasonable), if feels like all that's really keeping me going is spit and prayers right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending