romeo and juliet help Watch

ellieloujonesx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Can someone please sophistically analyse "Oh Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name."

Thanks
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ellieloujonesx)
Can someone please sophistically analyse "Oh Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name."

Thanks
6 minutes

JULIET
(not knowing ROMEO hears her) Oh, Romeo, Romeo, why do you have to be Romeo? Forget about your father and change your name.

Or else, if you won’t change your name, just swear you love me and I’ll stop being a Capulet.
Dirac_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ellieloujonesx)

Thanks
In this quote we see Juliet questioning why such an absurd construct such as family rivalry should get in the way of true love. She questions why a name should have such rule over an individual and their actions with the use of ‘wherefore’. By defying Elizabethan beliefs of family honour and dignity, we see Juliet as a progressive, intelligent woman; she has clearly progressed from the start of the play from a mere girl reliant on her nurse, to a brave woman ready to defy strong beliefs and the construct of family for love. She realises family is but a necessity for when you’re young, however as you grow older and more mature (as Juliet has done), maintaining relations with family becomes a choice as the child is no longer in need of care from family, as well as the parent being relieved from having to care for the children’s safety. Philosopher Rousseau and many critics alike would attribute this to Juliet’s growing emotional maturity and intelligence, showing us once again how far Juliet has progressed since the start of the play.

Note: my train of thought seems to have prolonged the response eek :/
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the English exams and study help forum where hopefully you'll get more answers In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread
ThomasClay
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Check out this Grade 8/9 analysis with quotations for all key themes in Romeo and Juliet

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...lysis-11904381
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads