The Student Room Group

Ucas E-mail error, anyone else?

So I got this email from ucas with the subject “Anna, your business degree offer” and then the first thing it said was “Your qualifications mean we can offer you a place on one of our life-changing business degrees.“ but the E-mail was from ucas ideas/ ucas media whatever you call it and wasn’t an offer just an advertisement for this university. I then got an email today (one day after) saying that e-mail was an error and this one was similar but the subject was “Study a degree in business in 2018” and the actual e-mail was also worded differently.

Basically I just thought it was really bad to send an advertisement with a uni in the way the first email was written? Basically making out that someone has an offer when it is in fact just an advertisement? Since I never applied to this uni I assume they would not even know my qualifications to have said that in the first email? Did this happen to anyone else? I’m wondering if that’s why they sent a new email saying it was an error because they realised their mistake!
Original post by aflanagan
So I got this email from ucas with the subject “Anna, your business degree offer” and then the first thing it said was “Your qualifications mean we can offer you a place on one of our life-changing business degrees.“ but the E-mail was from ucas ideas/ ucas media whatever you call it and wasn’t an offer just an advertisement for this university. I then got an email today (one day after) saying that e-mail was an error and this one was similar but the subject was “Study a degree in business in 2018” and the actual e-mail was also worded differently.

Basically I just thought it was really bad to send an advertisement with a uni in the way the first email was written? Basically making out that someone has an offer when it is in fact just an advertisement? Since I never applied to this uni I assume they would not even know my qualifications to have said that in the first email? Did this happen to anyone else? I’m wondering if that’s why they sent a new email saying it was an error because they realised their mistake!

As it's been clarified as an error delete it and move on. Things like this happen all the time. There's no point in wasting time thinking about it and even less so in posting about it!
Original post by aflanagan

Unfortunately these things do happen sometimes. It seems likely that this was an advertisement that slipped through the net without proper editing or approval. I completely agree that ethically, this is not good. You could complain to UCAS, although I'm not sure you'd get very far as all they can really do is let people know it was sent in error and send out a corrected version. Don't worry, no university that you haven't applied to will have access to your qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Unfortunately these things do happen sometimes. It seems likely that this was an advertisement that slipped through the net without proper editing or approval. I completely agree that ethically, this is not good. You could complain to UCAS, although I'm not sure you'd get very far as all they can really do is let people know it was sent in error and send out a corrected version. Don't worry, no university that you haven't applied to will have access to your qualifications.
yeah I’m not going to complain because I don’t think it’s worth it it’s just I applied to all business related courses and I don’t appreciate UCAS/ Universities ‘clcikbaiting’ or whatever people into thinking they have a university offer when they don’t! It’s very poor advertising but hey at least they corrected it 😬

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending