The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Are my GCSEs good enough to get an offer from Leeds in 2019?

I want to do Geography (BA) at the University of Leeds in 2019. At GCSE, I only got 4As and 6Bs as I tried to wing it and I have got an A in EPQ. I'm also eligible for the Access to Leeds scheme. The current offer for the course is AAA and I should be predicted by the end of this year an A*(in geography)AB if things go well. I've heard from a few friends that you'd need like at least 2A*s or at least an A* to be in with a chance of getting an offer. I've done extra-curricular stuff like starting a Geo society and am a self-taught Grade 4 pianist, but I just really think that my GCSEs will hold me back! Give me your honest opinions please.
Original post by TheActionAdam
I want to do Geography (BA) at the University of Leeds in 2019. At GCSE, I only got 4As and 6Bs as I tried to wing it and I have got an A in EPQ. I'm also eligible for the Access to Leeds scheme. The current offer for the course is AAA and I should be predicted by the end of this year an A*(in geography)AB if things go well. I've heard from a few friends that you'd need like at least 2A*s or at least an A* to be in with a chance of getting an offer. I've done extra-curricular stuff like starting a Geo society and am a self-taught Grade 4 pianist, but I just really think that my GCSEs will hold me back! Give me your honest opinions please.

Yes. Absolutely fine. I got an offer from Leeds for an AAA course (which I didn't accept as I firmed somewhere else) and have identical GCSEs to you. I also qualified for A2L and got a reduced offer. Leeds will not be bothered by your GCSEs at all. Ignore your friends, they are wrong. I know people with worse GCSEs than myself (and you) that have got AAA offers from Leeds, don't sweat it.

In reality, it is only the very exclusive unis that will turn you down based on GCSEs, but Leeds for BA Geog would be fine.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by LMsav
Yes. Absolutely fine. I got an offer from Leeds for an AAA course (which I didn't accept as I firmed somewhere else) and have identical GCSEs to you. I also qualified for A2L and got a reduced offer. Leeds will not be bothered by your GCSEs at all. Ignore your friends, they are wrong. I know people with worse GCSEs than myself (and you) that have got AAA offers from Leeds, don't sweat it.

In reality, it is only the very exclusive unis that will turn you down based on GCSEs, but Leeds for BA Geog would be fine.

Brilliant! Really pleased to see that this is the case. Thanks for the swift reply :smile:)

Your gcse's are excellent and most universities dont really take much notice of them only English language and Mathematics grades.
No one can tell whether you will be made an offer with the B. I suspect you will be offered AAA although the Access to Leeds scheme might lead to the offering or acceptance of lower grades. The only people who can answer your query is the university itself
Anyone got any predictions for paper one? I think there is going to be a question on Network Topologies and P2P networks

A friend of mine got in with A*AB for an AAA course. Though, he had already achieved the grades - but I doubt it’ll make a phenomenal difference.

Access to Leeds is really great, but if I were you I’d get your application in as early as possible next year. Just the knowledge that you have two grades off is really comforting, and will allow you to feel the offer is obtainable. Leeds is a fantastic university and the city/student union/ is about as good as it gets. Not to mention the campus! I’d still chuck the extra curricular stuff in though if I were you.

And no worries man happy to help:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
Your gcse's are excellent and most universities dont really take much notice of them only English language and Mathematics grades.
No one can tell whether you will be made an offer with the B. I suspect you will be offered AAA although the Access to Leeds scheme might lead to the offering or acceptance of lower grades. The only people who can answer your query is the university itself

If he does qualify for Access to Leeds (which to be honest is quite easy for most people) then it’ll reduce the offer by two grades and become ABB. Loads of universities offer similar grade reductions - even UCL do as of the next application cycle. Though no one seems to take any notice of them (or not as many as I would have apprehended!)
Original post by LMsav
A friend of mine got in with A*AB for an AAA course. Though, he had already achieved the grades - but I doubt it’ll make a phenomenal difference.

Access to Leeds is really great, but if I were you I’d get your application in as early as possible next year. Just the knowledge that you have two grades off is really comforting, and will allow you to feel the offer is obtainable. Leeds is a fantastic university and the city/student union/ is about as good as it gets. Not to mention the campus! I’d still chuck the extra curricular stuff in though if I were you.

And no worries man happy to help:smile:

Jesus christ, you have literally given me hope. I think this will surprise you, but those comments have inspired me. You rediscovered the work ethic and the desire to succeed I had lost years ago! Thank you so much mate, you honestly don't know how much you've done. Really refreshing to finally be given hope instead of being told i'm not cut out for it by everyone. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jesus christ, you have literally given me hope. I think this will surprise you, but those comments have inspired me. You rediscovered the work ethic and the desire to succeed I had lost years ago! Thank you so much mate, you honestly don't know how much you've done. Really refreshing to finally be given hope instead of being told i'm not cut out for it by everyone. :smile: :smile: :smile:

No problem mate! Sounds like the terrible advice you received caused you to lose your way. Honestly, I think the misinformation spread over this forum is unbelievable. Endless number of kids on here think they are first class education and careers advisors and the incorrect advice can be quite damaging to say the least. The truth is that it's currently a buyers market when it comes to applying to university. Maybe 4-5 years ago before the cap for numbers was lifted then your friends would have been right but not anymore. A lot of even the best RG universities let people in with lower grades last year, and clearing had top courses at top universities in abundance. There just simply isn't the demand like there used to be for spaces (which is good for us!). I had a friend who was predicted BBB and received AAB offers from 5 RG unis last year. The idea that the application process is really that difficult is a bit of a myth (Excluding Oxbridge/Top 3 London/Maybe Warwick, KCL, Durham).

When it does come to applying I'd check the other uni's that offer access schemes similar to Leeds or grade drop systems. (UCL/Surrey/Nottingham/Bristol are a few I can list off the top of my head, but there are more.) Keep the motivation up and you'll be able to get there my friend! Any more questions feel free to hit me up:smile:
the opening up of university courses has led to it becoming a buyers market. Prior to about 2013 universities had set quotas and got fined if the exceeded those numbers. The government has removed that cap and universities have been able to increase their numbers. Several have done and I know Exeter is one so that means less applicants available for other universities so many are being forced to accept people on lower grades. To try to ensure students go there universities started bringing in unconditional offers. This has not been done for the student benefit but many students have fallen for them. interestingly theire was a report recently 5 of the 8 welsh universities have suffered a drop in numbers. The exception being Swansea which intends to double its numbers having recently opened a brand new second campus. Many leading universities give contextual offers but the rules vary between universities. Some like Bristol and Exeter base it on schooling. If your school's results were in the bottom 40% the previous year you are given a lower offer. Others base it on post codes or whether a family member has been to university, it is worth looking to see whether you meet contextual conditions. For example for courses normally requiring A*AA Exeter offer AAB for contextual offers.
Original post by LMsav
No problem mate! Sounds like the terrible advice you received caused you to lose your way. Honestly, I think the misinformation spread over this forum is unbelievable. Endless number of kids on here think they are first class education and careers advisors and the incorrect advice can be quite damaging to say the least. The truth is that it's currently a buyers market when it comes to applying to university. Maybe 4-5 years ago before the cap for numbers was lifted then your friends would have been right but not anymore. A lot of even the best RG universities let people in with lower grades last year, and clearing had top courses at top universities in abundance. There just simply isn't the demand like there used to be for spaces (which is good for us!). I had a friend who was predicted BBB and received AAB offers from 5 RG unis last year. The idea that the application process is really that difficult is a bit of a myth (Excluding Oxbridge/Top 3 London/Maybe Warwick, KCL, Durham).

When it does come to applying I'd check the other uni's that offer access schemes similar to Leeds or grade drop systems. (UCL/Surrey/Nottingham/Bristol are a few I can list off the top of my head, but there are more.) Keep the motivation up and you'll be able to get there my friend! Any more questions feel free to hit me up:smile:

That's really reassuring man. Thank you so much once again and will do! :smile:
Original post by swanseajack1
the opening up of university courses has led to it becoming a buyers market. Prior to about 2013 universities had set quotas and got fined if the exceeded those numbers. The government has removed that cap and universities have been able to increase their numbers. Several have done and I know Exeter is one so that means less applicants available for other universities so many are being forced to accept people on lower grades. To try to ensure students go there universities started bringing in unconditional offers. This has not been done for the student benefit but many students have fallen for them. interestingly theire was a report recently 5 of the 8 welsh universities have suffered a drop in numbers. The exception being Swansea which intends to double its numbers having recently opened a brand new second campus. Many leading universities give contextual offers but the rules vary between universities. Some like Bristol and Exeter base it on schooling. If your school's results were in the bottom 40% the previous year you are given a lower offer. Others base it on post codes or whether a family member has been to university, it is worth looking to see whether you meet contextual conditions. For example for courses normally requiring A*AA Exeter offer AAB for contextual offers.

I'll definitely check that out too. Thank you!
I'll definitely check that out too. Thank you!

here is an example for Geography at Bristol

A-level
Standard offer AAA in any subjects, or AAB in three geography-related subjects A-level
Contextual offer
What is a contextual offer? ABB in any subjects, or BBB in three geography-related subjects
You have attended an aspiring school or college

You will be eligible for a contextual offer if you are applying from an aspiring state school or college.
In England, we define aspiring state schools and colleges as those which fall in the bottom 40 per cent for either:

progression to higher education, or

average attainment in A-levels, International Baccalaureate, Pre-U and Extended Projects qualifications.

In Wales, we define aspiring state schools and colleges as those which fall in the bottom 40 per cent for either:

application to higher education, or

average attainment in A-levels or any equivalent qualifications.

If you are currently attending school, you must apply through a school or college in one of the below lists to be eligible:

English 2017/18 schools and colleges eligible for contextual offer (PDF, 1,088kB)

Welsh 2017/18 schools and colleges eligible for contextual offer (PDF, 95kB)

If you are not currently attending school, you must have been in full-time education in the 2016/17 academic year at a school or college in this list:

2016/17 schools and colleges eligible for contextual offer (PDF, 273kB)

(Lists of eligible schools for students applying during 2018/19 will be available later this year.)
We use the 'applying from' school code or the education history on your UCAS form to determine the school or college you have attended, so you must ensure these are correct when you apply.
Inclusion on the contextual offer list is not a judgement of the quality of the institution. We recognise that many of the schools and colleges on the list have been deemed outstanding in many respects.

You live in an area with low progression to higher education

You will be eligible for a contextual offer if you currently live in an area that has a low rate of progression to higher education according to POLAR3 data (or POLAR4 data for 2019 entry). To determine this, we use the home address on your UCAS application form.
You can check whether your address qualifies by entering your postcode into the POLAR checking tool. The number in the POLAR3 young participation quintile column must be 1 or 2 for your address to qualify.

Check your postcode
Please note that we will only use your POLAR3 classification if you are applying for entry in 2018 (or deferring to 2019). We will be using POLAR4 data for the 2019 cycle. More information on POLAR classifications can be found on the HEFCE website.

You have completed a University of Bristol outreach programme

If you complete an academically focused outreach programme at the University, you will be eligible for a contextual offer. These include:

Pathways to Law at the University of Bristol

Sutton Trust Summer School at the University of Bristol

You have spent time in care

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/English-aspiring-state-schools-2018-cycle.pdf
it’s definitely fine. I’m very surprised but I got an offer for Leeds today to do linguistics. My predictions were BBC, and my GCSE’s were one A* and the rest B and C. Not sure how but they’ve given me an offer for ABB. Pretty shocked if I’m honest but it just goes to show some people do have a chance. When I applied it was because I was going to do access to Leeds but now I doubt I will

Quick Reply

Latest