The Student Room Group

apprenticeship to going uni

Hi I wanted to ask if you can go uni if you did apprenticeship because my teacher you can't because in apprenticeship they don't teach all units and you need ucas points for it but some people have gone uni after apprenticeship
Reply 1
Original post by princess770
Hi I wanted to ask if you can go uni if you did apprenticeship because my teacher you can't because in apprenticeship they don't teach all units and you need ucas points for it but some people have gone uni after apprenticeship

I think you need to do a higher/advanced apprenticeship at level 3 to go uni after but it depends on the university if they will accept an apprenticeship qualification or not.
(edited 5 years ago)
that's I am currently going to do level 3 apprenticeship
Yeah I think it depends on the uni
Your teacher is wrong. Depending on the level 3 apprenticeship scheme, the employer and the level of apprenticeship, continuation of your education at Bachelor's level and above is possible (whether that is company sponsored or otherwise).

Apprenticeship schemes at level 4 and above will have a foundation degree and/or Bachelor's degree component to them, meaning you will actually study for an Fd or Bachelor's degree as a part of the apprenticeship scheme itself.

The quality of apprenticeship scheme varies between employers and training providers, so it is really important to do your research before making any decisions (as you would for a university course, or any other major decision for that matter).
thank you
thank you

Have a look on the UCAs tarriff points system, you can insert your qualification and projected results and it will give you a understanding of how many UCAS points you need. A lot of the time Higher universties will accept extended diplomas however normal level 3 certificates will be considered. This could be for instance if you have A-levels aswell or you a Straight D*D* student with a great portfolio.
Oh alright thanks

Yes of course!? When you complete an apprenticeship, you will have a qualification and depending on the examining body & level of the qualification (realistically it should be Level 3 or higher and equivalent to 2 or 3 A levels but even then you're experience on the apprenticeship could be sufficient enough to get you onto the university course if it's relevant to the subject area that you've applied to) then you have the same chance of getting into uni than others who went the traditional route
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah thanks
as my teacher made me confused now I am clear about it

Quick Reply

Latest