username2885166
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
“All religious people should be vegetarian”Evaluate this statement (12 marks)

Vegetarianism is when one excludes meat from their diet and can cause controversy in various religions. Some Christians may disagree with this statement because there are no harsh rules about meat in Christianity unlike religions such as Islam or Judaism. Genesis states that God made animals for us to use, so a Christian could infer from this that they can eat them. However, Catholic Christians would agree with this statement as meat eating can be considered a sin during some religious events. During Fridays in Lent, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, meat eating on these days is considered mortal sin by the Catholic Church.

Some Muslims may disagree with this statement as religious teachings states that animals eaten if they are killed in a correct way and blood is entirely washed off the animal, this is known as halal. The Qur'an states that “every one of you should sharpen his knife, and let the slaughtered animal die comfortably” which means that most meats can be eaten. However, some Muslims would agree with this statement as it highlights their obedience to God. Allah loves all living creatures and helping them is charity (Zakāt) so it is an act of respect to God.

Some Jews may disagree with this statement because meat is sometimes involved in religious festivities. Traditionally on the Sedar plate at Passover, a horseradish bone is used but this can also be chicken and rarely, lamb. This means that a Jew who wishes to stick to the traditional food of the Sedar plate may not wish to be vegetarian. However, other Jews would agree with this statement as the Old Testament has many scriptures on vegetarianism. “Every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food" so a Jew could infer that they should just eat vegetarian foods as this is stated by God in Genesis.

Overall, religious people should become vegetarian as it increases their obedience to God and they will not sin by doing this. This can be hard for some religious people, but now there are many vegetarian alternatives. Christianity, Islam and Judaism all believe in one God, who wishes them to be vegetarian as it is loving forward their environment.

——————————————————————————————————————
Thanks for reading this it would be great if you could tell me what I did well and what needs to be improved.
I used DREARER x 3 = C (which is from AQA, the board I am doing)
I did not include non religious viewpoints as I thought this wouldn’t suit well with this type of question, as it asks about religion.
Also , can you include a short personal view anywhere?
Polygamy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know if you've learnt this but after our explanation for our paragraph we would usually put an evaluative statement after the explanation, an example of an evaluative statement is "This is a strong arguement" or "This is is a weak arguement" Other than that, it's really good.

I would give it 8/9 marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads