The Student Room Group

Edexcel maths resits 2018

I’m retaking my AS maths exams this year and I’m in year 13. The year 12’s are doing a new maths spec at my school and so I was wondering if all schools in th country are like this, will those who are resitting the AS exams all be year 13 resitters? Because if so surely this will mean grade boundaries will be higher so it will be harder to get the grades?
Original post by Annafleeman
I’m retaking my AS maths exams this year and I’m in year 13. The year 12’s are doing a new maths spec at my school and so I was wondering if all schools in th country are like this, will those who are resitting the AS exams all be year 13 resitters? Because if so surely this will mean grade boundaries will be higher so it will be harder to get the grades?

Yes, the vast majority of people sitting C1 or C2 exams this summer will be retaking. A tiny proportion of students who are taking a full A level in one year have opted for the old specification.
This isn't the first time a new maths specification has been introduced and it isn't the first subject to go through the process of reform this time around.
The examiners understand the nature of this years exam cohort and will use their expertise to ensure appropriate grade boundaries are set. Whatever they decide will also be checked carefully by the exam regulators.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Yes, the vast majority of people sitting C1 or C2 exams this summer will be retaking. A tiny proportion of students who are taking a full A level in one year have opted for the old specification.
This isn't the first time a new maths specification has been introduced and it isn't the first subject to go through the process of reform this time around.
The examiners understand the nature of this years exam cohort and will use their expertise to ensure appropriate grade boundaries are set. Whatever they decide will also be checked carefully by the exam regulators.

Thank-you for the response! Does that mean you think the boundaries will be higher or similar to the current ones?
Original post by Annafleeman
Thank-you for the response! Does that mean you think the boundaries will be higher or similar to the current ones?

As long as the papers are of a similar difficulty to the recent exams I'd expect boundaries to be very similar to past ones. I would be shocked if they were ridiculously high for C1 or C2

Quick Reply

Latest