x.vickyyy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, why is Elizabeth accepted as part of the family, whereas Justine is only accepted as a servant? (Any quotations to support this would be fab!)
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by x.vickyyy)
In Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, why is Elizabeth accepted as part of the family, whereas Justine is only accepted as a servant? (Any quotations to support this would be fab!)
I'm not sure she is *only accepted* as a servant; she's regarded very highly by the family despite performing domestic labour for them. This is what Elizabeth says in her letter:

Spoiler:
Show
Do you remember on what occasion Justine Moritz entered our family? Probably you do not; I will relate her history, therefore in a few words. Madame Moritz, her mother, was a widow with four children, of whom Justine was the third. This girl had always been the favourite of her father, but through a strange perversity, her mother could not endure her, and after the death of M. Moritz, treated her very ill. My aunt observed this, and when Justine was twelve years of age, prevailed on her mother to allow her to live at our house. The republican institutions of our country have produced simpler and happier manners than those which prevail in the great monarchies that surround it. Hence there is less distinction between the several classes of its inhabitants; and the lower orders, being neither so poor nor so despised, their manners are more refined and moral. A servant in Geneva does not mean the same thing as a servant in France and England. Justine, thus received in our family, learned the duties of a servant, a condition which, in our fortunate country, does not include the idea of ignorance and a sacrifice of the dignity of a human being.

It isn't really explained there, though Elizabeth does take care to say that a servant is not less intelligent or dignified by virtue of their status, which arguably means that Justine was considered no less of a member of the family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (121)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.44%

Watched Threads