emazing
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anyone got any good advice for English, it is probaby my weakest subject and I really want to get an A.

I'm terrible at RUAE for starters, I stuggle with knowing the structure of every answer and ow much detail you should give.

With the critical essay I have no idea how to structure my into and conclusion.

If anyone has any advice please help, I'm desperate lol
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emazing)
Anyone got any good advice for English, it is probaby my weakest subject and I really want to get an A.

I'm terrible at RUAE for starters, I stuggle with knowing the structure of every answer and ow much detail you should give.

Hey.:wavey:

How you structure your answers is your choice. Look at the mark schemes, and see exactly what hoops you need to jump through to get those marks, and then build your own structure around that.

I'm not to familiar with the N5 exam, what do you need to do?
username3932588
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you've left it a bit late
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emazing)

The biggest advice for RUAE is to QUOTE AND COMMENT. A relevant quote and an insightful comment can gain you two marks in a question. Make sure you know your techniques and use your own words as far as possible.

In the intro to the critical essay, as a basic outline, you should include:
- The title of the text
- Author's name
- Type of text (e.g. novel, poem, etc.)
- Refer to the question
- Almost summarise what your paragraphs are about
(e.g. a question on theme, you could have an introduction that goes something like: 'TEXT TITLE' by 'AUTHOR'S NAME' is a 'TYPE OF TEXT' that explores the theme of INSERT THEME FROM Q. (Include a couple of sentences here that describe the text really generally- perhaps key themes, what it is about, setting, depending on what is relevant to the question- think of these couple of sentences as a more factual version of a novel's blurb.) This is done through (INSERT WHAT IT IS DONE THROUGH, relevant to text, e.g. the development of the character of X, key incidents, such as Y and the overall plot of __).

The conclusion can be approached similarly (continuing example of a question on theme): Overall, through use of (summarise your points in the main body), the 'TYPE OF TEXT' 'TEXT TITLE' (rephrase the question, e.g. explores the theme of ___). The theme of ___ is further explored through ___, which enhances the reader's understanding of the text as a whole.

These templates are really basic, and the reality is you need to be able to adapt them to the question in the exam. I would recommend you don't spend too much time writing out full essays, and instead focus on making essay plans for past paper questions, so you can better prepare for a wider range of questions. Since you are not sure about writing intros/conclusions, make sure you have a decent practice of those too.

If you're looking to discuss the exam with others, there's lots of Nat 5 students over on the main exam thread in Scottish Qualifications: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5050252

Hope this helps and hope the exam goes well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (135)
61.64%
I don't have everything I need (84)
38.36%

Watched Threads