Low blood pressure, fast heart rate?

Watch
cat_mac
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I thought they would contradict each other? Getting an ECG soon which is always fun. Smart people, please explain what the difference is between BP and heart rate? I had no interest until the nurse freaked and redid the test three times then checked manually incase the machine was messing up :laugh:
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have no idea but have had a lot of those BP tests and had an ECG so just wanted to say hope it all is resolved :cube:
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
BP is the amount of pressure the blood goes through arteries, which means your heart rate is faster because the pressure is too low, not enough going through, i think.
cat_mac
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I have no idea but have had a lot of those BP tests and had an ECG so just wanted to say hope it all is resolved :cube:
I’ve had plenty too and they’re usually totally fine so I was a bit freaked out at the time when it was making different noises and the nurse looked concerned! It’s probably meds related, hopefully it’s a quick fix. :hugs:
cat_mac
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
BP is the amount of pressure the blood goes through arteries, which means your heart rate is faster because the pressure is too low, not enough going through, i think.
Ah okay that makes sense!
username3911170
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
BP=basically how ‘hydrated’ you are, therefore with such a low H2O level (low blood pressure) your body needs to increase the heart rate in order to make sure that oxygen, ions, hormones, nutrients (,etc) dissolved in ur blood can reach the living cells and all the wastes (CO2, urea, ammonia) can get flushed out from the body in time.

So, low BP=higher HR and conversely, high BP=lower HR.

PS. but remember that HR can also be altered by any other similar mechanisms not involving the HR-BP feedback system, e.g. eventho you’re fully ‘hydrated’ (high BP), you may still feel nervous (increasing HR) coz ur pancreas releases epinephrine while you’re in dangerous situation/when ure afraid.
melliottme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My heart rate has increased over the years and even though I am on meds that actually reduce the rate today (as normal) when it was taken it was just under 100. I mention that even hough it had steadily increased over the years nobody seemed concerned and the heart nurse said its going to be the new big 'awareness' soon.
Attybat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by random_matt)
That's pretty much how it works - less blood means heart has to work harder to provide the same amount of oxygen to the rest of the body. You probably have already been told this but make sure you're drinking enough. Chronic Dehydration is one of the most common causes of low blood pressure because there's less fluid in your blood to bulk the cells out.
JamandJelly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cat_mac)
I thought they would contradict each other? Getting an ECG soon which is always fun. Smart people, please explain what the difference is between BP and heart rate? I had no interest until the nurse freaked and redid the test three times then checked manually incase the machine was messing up :laugh:
Low blood pressure, fast heart: too fast too furious
independentx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the BP is the pressure at which the blood is pumped, and if the pressure isn't enough the heart needs to pump more and faster. I'm no doctor though!
cat_mac
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
How detailed would you like? :rofl3: We can go organ system, hormones, microscopic, nervous system!

BP and HR are connected in many ways, and as said they usually do go up when one goes down. However there are many ways this relationship is disrupted, therefore it is not simply "low BP, high HR" etc.

Young women tend to have a low HR (around 60, but even 50 is acceptable depending on the trend), but they may also have low BP (hence some faint)

Physically fit people tends to have a low HR too, but their BP may well be normal. Each stroke of the heart can pump more blood than a non-physically fit person.

I can go into much, much more detail but surely it will bore you!
That’s helpful, thanks! My HR was 98 sitting down then 101 standing up which sounded way too fast in beeps. If anythings wrong they’ll figure it out soon I guess :rofl:
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Another measurement is the pulse pressure which is the difference between the higher and lower numbers of your blood pressure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
16.08%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (62)
31.16%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (24)
12.06%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.04%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (51)
25.63%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.51%

Watched Threads