roadrunner98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm looking at how negative feelings are presented in War Photographer and Checking Out Me History. I'm mainly struggling to find some points for War Photographer since the only point i have on it is how it uses imagery of suffering to convey negative feelings. Could anyone pls give me one additional point and then ill be able to get an idea of what else i could write about
Thanks
Cat476
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing Alevel English lit and although we haven't covered these poems, if you can send a copy of the poem or a link, I could try and find some points for you if nobody else can help?
roadrunner98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Cat476)
I'm doing Alevel English lit and although we haven't covered these poems, if you can send a copy of the poem or a link, I could try and find some points for you if nobody else can help?
Thanks. Here are the links to the poems:
Checking Out Me History - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...goutrev2.shtml
War Photographer - http://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org...r-photographer

I know the poems might not seem like they work together but im trying to push myself and come up with links
alxxiya
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m not sure if you still need help, but you could make some of these points for War Photographer:

-You could talk about the internal rhyme at the end of stanza 3 “tears between the bath and pre-lunch beers.” You could argue Duffy uses this to quicken the pace for the reader, and demonstrate the speed at which people forget their negative feelings, thus leading to a sense of ignorance.

-Secondly, you could then link that sense of ignorance of negative feelings to the final line of the poem “they do not care.” You could analyse the use of the collective pronoun “they”. Perhaps Duffy uses this to suggest the collective ignorance to negative feelings and situations in the world, as photographed by war photographers like her friend Don McCullin. From here, you could then argue that for the “War Photographer” Duffy presents a sense of distance between him and the rest of society; he realises his negative feelings towards events.

-You could then look at the somewhat cyclical nature of the poem, as the War Photographer returns to his job, to argue that we see here the consistent ignorance of the public to negative feelings. Such is also evidenced through “Rural England” being enclosed in caesura, thus causing the reader to visually separate this place from the negative feelings and suffering seen in war, arguably suggesting to the reader that they live in an artificial microcosm of the world, perpetuated by ignorance and false positivity.

-Similarly, the echoing of caesura between the war zones in the first stanza and that in the second could seen as used to emphasise the juxtaposition between these two places.

-Conversely, you could argue the cyclical nature relates more to the War Photographer and their own negative feelings. You could argue that due to societal ignorance of negative feelings, his experiences of them never change. Here, you could look at the verb “tremble” and how it connotes a deep rooted sense of fear at the “spools of suffering” that he must work with. Moreover, through the fact that “his hands did not tremble then” though “seem to now” could relate back to PTSD and the associated negative feelings that accompany that. Therefore, one could interpret the cyclical structure to really be indicative of the mindset of the War Photographer. Duffy can also be said to use the repetitive ABBCDD rhyme scheme to emphasise this same notion; his negative feelings towards his job and those he witnesses do not escape him. A point emphasised also through frequent encampment and caesura throughout the poem, which suggest a certain emotional chaos.

-It would also be wise to look at the plosive use of caesura and asyndetic listing in “Belfast. Beirut. Pnohm Penh.” Here, the absence of conjunctions is emphatic, as Duffy intends to remove any extraneous this information from the named sites, thus forcing the reader to look at the war zones without distraction; they can no longer escape the negative feelings that accompany reality. Use of plosives and caesuras also heightens this effect by creating a harsh tone, which helps to impose and overarching sense of negativity for the reader.

Hope this helps xx
moonlightbaeee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mr Bruff is a life saver! He has videos on both of these poems, if you’re still in need of help xx
‘Checking Out Me History’: https://youtu.be/Mj1bMk_E7GQ
‘War Photographer’: https://youtu.be/HeZCQlUMQxI
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.64%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (54)
65.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
14.46%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (8)
9.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.2%

Watched Threads