The Student Room Group

CIE AS and A Level Chemistry May/ June 2018 [exam discussion]

Hey there all,
Seeing how everyone's setting up a thread for their exam, I though of making a thread for discussing our upcoming chemistry papers. If anyone has some last minute doubts or if you guys want to discuss the paper once we're done, this is the place to do so.

Scroll to see replies

Im totally doubtful on how the sig figs works with chemistry
In older papers they loved to not round during parts of calculation questions
While in the newer papers they do round them, except in some questions like %
Then you have the odd few questions where they round to one sig fig higher than the lowest...

GAHH
Original post by thelegend66
Then you have the odd few questions where they round to one sig fig higher than the lowest...

GAHH

Ughh same, I always give it to the least number of sig figs given in a value unless its specifically asked for or if its a mole fraction. But today I was doing w16 23 and for some damn reason the markscheme answers are to 1 sf even tho the lowest value in the question is to 2sf like????
Also, I'm still not 100% on ir spectroscopy and my teacher isn't very helpful either. Like the examiner report says when quoting absorption wavenumber you're supposed to give one value, not a range, as in C=O at 1750 not 1700-1750 yet my teacher was telling me the exact opposite so I honestly can't trust her answers anymore.
Original post by thelegend66

GAHH

Hey there! How was it?? Mine was varient 2 wbu?
I personally though it was overall good but I'm sure the thresholds will be sky high for the paper cuz the questions weren't that challenging. I bet MCQ's are gonna be hard af tho.
Same I did variant 2 aswell and it was pretty easy.
Reply 6
Variant 2 was EASIEST paper of my life
Reply 7
Original post by 4gg

srsly i finished the paper 30 minutes early and kept revising bc i was sure i missed a page somewhere...like i couldn't believe that was it, its so different to 2014-2017 papers.
I am taking 22 as and it was so different form previous exam. it is not so difficulty but wired.
I did 22 not difficult at all, but i messed up the stoichiometry equation. Will i still get marks for the rest of my answers using ecf though?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fizza23458
I did 22 not difficult at all, but i messed up the stoichiometry equation. Will i still get marks for the rest of my answers using ecf though?

Of course, there's always ecf as long as you show your method
Anybody have any prediction for AS?
Scared for msqs. Today’s paper was suspicious, the examiners were having a good day
Original post by zainabxxo
Anybody have any prediction for AS?[/QUOT
i feel that the paper 2 threshold for A is gonna be 48-50 tbh
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
How many marks did u guys think or no u guys lost?
Original post by HSK1234
what do we write for melting point decreasing group 2?

Down the group strength of metallic bond decreases bc nuclear attraction to delocalised electrons decreases. This is due to added electron shells that increase the sheilding effect so less energy needed to break the metallic bonds
Reply 17
Original post by Mzaya
I think I lost not more than 15 marks

All my friends only lost like 1, 2 marks 3 at most im just like bro ...
Hi there
Can somebody plz tell me what was the answer of x in the stocihemetery question? Thanks
Original post by Izzaharshad52
Hi there
Can somebody plz tell me what was the answer of x in the stocihemetery question? Thanks

I got 6, so did almost everyone else ik.

Quick Reply

Latest