The Student Room Group

Getting high?

Very random question, i know, but i was wondering.

If someone was to have absinthe set on fire and then added sugar (also set on fire).

Would they get high?

I was very drunk last night and i'm just wondering if this is possible because i was virtually out of control last night and i was wondering if it had something to do with the use of fire?

(Don't worry, i was drinking safely)

Also: this is NOT a thread encouraging people to drink or burn alcohol. It's just a genuine question as i want to be more careful.

Scroll to see replies

Depends on your definition of 'high'. Some people would sonsider simply being drunk as 'high'. It's not a medical term or anything.
You will have become intoxicated more rapidly due to the higher than usual temperature of the alcohol. (Faster absorption)
That and absinthe is 45-75% proof.
I'd always seen 'high' as more of a euphoric cannabis enduced state.
Reply 3
I think the absinthe alone would be enough to screw you up.
Reply 4
I've heard this but I think it's an urban myth. Largely to do with when they would have laudanum with it. Perhaps it was just a miscalculation in consumption with the very high alcohol content?
If it was real absinthe, i.e. from the continent, not bought in the UK... then it was just the absinthe, nothing to do with the flames. Lighting shots is just for show, it has no effect (actually burns off some of the alcohol). "Real" absinthe contains stuff that can make you a bit loopy, yes. I remember drinking a fair load of it in one night in my teens, ended up wandering the streets muttering to myself... collecting random stones and sticks off the ground that I though were "significant". HAHAHA. Then I sat on someone's windowsill and puked for a while. I woke up the next day wondering why the **** my pockets were full of stones and twigs.
Reply 6
Toy Soldier
If it was real absinthe, i.e. from the continent, not bought in the UK... then it was just the absinthe, nothing to do with the flames. Lighting shots is just for show, it has no effect (actually burns off some of the alcohol). "Real" absinthe contains stuff that can make you a bit loopy, yes. I remember drinking a fair load of it in one night in my teens, ended up wandering the streets muttering to myself... collecting random stones and sticks off the ground that I though were "significant". HAHAHA. Then I sat on someone's windowsill and puked for a while. I woke up the next day wondering why the **** my pockets were full of stones and twigs.

:rofl:

Brilliant.
Reply 7
Actually burning alcohol gives off vapours which are transfered into the blood quicker than by drinking it, so you simply get drunk quicker.

That's the theory, at least.
Reply 8
Setting fire to an alcoholic drink just evaporates the alcohol in it, so if you inhale the fumes it will get into your blood exceptionally quickly. If you just drink the leftover liquid not much will happen.
As TS says, if it's real absinthe, that explains anything that may have happened to you.
Reply 9
eh dont think so. i had absinthe one night (and it didn't get me drunk at all and i had quite a drink) and didn't have the same effect like when i take weed or acid. never tried with flames though so might be something to do with that?

edit: maybe the absinthe i had was not the real deal as i was in indochina when i had it :p: but if it wasn't real, id be fooled! it tasted just like it..
Yeah, the absinthe was the real deal. Potent Spanish stuff.

Thanks for all the replies :smile:
-adalia-
Yeah, the absinthe was the real deal. Potent Spanish stuff.

Thanks for all the replies :smile:

Ahh, good old green spanish 70% is the best! I've had it from various places, but that one was definitely top-notch. I had an 80% one from somewhere in eastern europe once that was basically undrinkable. Like drinking petrol. Blergh.
ashy
Setting fire to an alcoholic drink just evaporates the alcohol in it, so if you inhale the fumes it will get into your blood exceptionally quickly. If you just drink the leftover liquid not much will happen.
As TS says, if it's real absinthe, that explains anything that may have happened to you.

Aye, had a cocktail called a snorkle or "gaschamber" which was basically sniffing the alcohol fumes then downing the shot. Messed me right up and It usually takes a few to make me feel like that.
This thread is making me feel sick.
Reminds me of freshers, when I finished off a bottle of 73% absinth I brought back from portugal. Never again, I had a hangover for a week and even talk of the stuff makes me gag. Couldnt even look at alcohol for months after that.
Reply 14
Toy Soldier

hahahaha!! reminds me of my friend that was going around trying to find 'the elixir'. I got absinthe for my birthday, but being the brainiac that I am, I left it in the boot of the car. Hot summer + 75% alcohol content = explosion. For a few weeks you would feel drunk by just inhaling absinthe fumes =p
Reply 15
Toy Soldier
Ahh, good old green spanish 70% is the best! I've had it from various places, but that one was definitely top-notch. I had an 80% one from somewhere in eastern europe once that was basically undrinkable. Like drinking petrol. Blergh.

There's a drink in Eastern Europe (at least in Hungary) known as Pálinka (at least in Hungarian :p:). I had some home made stuff that evaporated before it hit my throat.

I was impressed :biggrin:
What does absinthe taste like? Im not really a spirits type person so I havent tried it.
Reply 17
it sucks. Kind of like liquorice but totally totally strong. I could barely sip it. Since you're not into spirits, I suggest you don't try it!!

On a related note, Marilyn Manson uses absinthe in his paintings;o
Botticello
What does absinthe taste like? Im not really a spirits type person so I havent tried it.

It tastes like you died and went to hell :s-smilie:

Depends where you get it from though- if its from a club, I think alot of the time its watered down or the weak stuff. In which case it burns your mouth a bit and tastes a bit like aniseed.

If its the proper stuff, ie the 70%+ stuff it smells like nail varnish remover and tastes just as bad, no flavour, just really yucky.
Toy Soldier

Sounds like a good night to me :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending