AA222
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I received 6A* and 5A's at GCSE, after which I moved to a grammar sixth form. My A level subjects are Bio, Chem, Maths and Economics. I was hoping to do medicine, but I feel like my predicted grades won't be enough to get me an offer. As we don't have AS exams, my school carried out internal exams to help them with predicted grades. The Bio and Chem papers were the 2017 papers which were available on the website so everyone had done them before and therefore will get really good results. I had never seen these papers before and if they don't change the grade boundaries according to the original papers, I would have got an A in bio and a B in chem (checked the mark scheme after the paper), but as everyone had done so well, the grade boundaries are going to be significantly higher, and I don't know my final result yet. My target grades are all A's (our school usually predicts us these unless we do really bad in our exams), teachers have personally predicted me: A (bio), A (maths), B (chem) and A* (eco). I've been volunteering in a charity shop for the past 8 months and have got 2 GP placements, a paediatrics ward (hospital) work experience and care home volunteering all organised for summer holidays. I'm hoping to go to a London based uni but feel like I won't be able to make it because I will probably get bad predicted grades. What should I do? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance
Attybat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it's what you really want to do, you should still apply however that B is not going to help.

You should also consider that if your grades aren't that great, is it going to be the right career for you? If you're already struggling at A-level, are you going to be able to cope with the workload at medschool?
A_Long_Way_To_Go
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're doing all the right things with the volunteering and work placements, the only thing really holding you back is your grades, and since you haven't got any results back it's too early to really say much. If you do get your predicted grades, one B won't be the end of your chance of getting into med school and I'm sure you will still be a desirable student if you're good at interviews, and have a good personal statement. As well as this, considering a lot of med schools also ask for you to have sat something like UKCAT, if you end up with a particularly strong score, they might be willing to overlook the B.
AA222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Attybat)
If it's what you really want to do, you should still apply however that B is not going to help.

You should also consider that if your grades aren't that great, is it going to be the right career for you? If you're already struggling at A-level, are you going to be able to cope with the workload at medschool?
Thanks for your reply. I will be dropping eco next year so I will have a lot more time to study. I feel like I didn't work hard enough this year but at the same time, people who had already seen the paper will raise the grade boundaries for the rest of us (not fair). I think I will be able to persuade them to give me an A predicted for chemistry but I was really hoping to get an A* predicted in bio as I've been getting grade A's the whole year. Would I be able to get into any London based uni with AAA predicted? Should I talk to my head of year about raising my predicted grades if I don't get AAA predicted?
AA222
Rep:
?
(Original post by A_Long_Way_To_Go)
You're doing all the right things with the volunteering and work placements, the only thing really holding you back is your grades, and since you haven't got any results back it's too early to really say much. If you do get your predicted grades, one B won't be the end of your chance of getting into med school and I'm sure you will still be a desirable student if you're good at interviews, and have a good personal statement. As well as this, considering a lot of med schools also ask for you to have sat something like UKCAT, if you end up with a particularly strong score, they might be willing to overlook the B.
Thank you! Hopefully, I'm able to get my chemistry prediction to an A, but if not I will probably take a gap year and work really hard to get good A-level grades and reapply (if I don't get any offers with my current predicted grades).
Attybat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could try but would it be doing you any favours? Predicted grades are what they believe you are capable of based of your previous school/college experiences. AAA predicted is the bare minimum for getting into many med school.

The grades are only a small part of what the university's are looking for; the personal statement is way more important. I had a relative that used to work as part of the admissions process and she said that all the applications they recieve have AAA predicted, have done work experience, volunteering, DofE etc. What they're really looking for is an statement that stands out from others and makes them think "wow, this person sounds interesting to teach.".
Stanspam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unless a medical school specifies the minimum predicted grade for certain subjects, I don't think it really matters.

Some medical schools don't care about predicted grades at all, and factor in GCSEs more heavily. It's worth looking these up, as I think you would stand chance of getting interviews at these medical schools if you also do well in your admissions tests.

However, once you do get the offer, you really do need the A in chemistry. It's unlikely you'll be accepted onto the course if you get a B in that subject, whereas this isn't the case if the B is in maths/econ
annanas45
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would recommend asking your chem teacher if you can take another mock exam privately at lunch or in a free or if they trust you to - at home. I did this and went from predicted a C to an A lol
straightIrishguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
these internal exams are not good indicators of your true potential - at AS last year I failed all my mock but got 3 As in summer
Best advice would be to beg your teachers to predict you higher marks and make your plea believable - or get As and reapply
AA222
Rep:
?
(Original post by straightIrishguy)
these internal exams are not good indicators of your true potential - at AS last year I failed all my mock but got 3 As in summer
Best advice would be to beg your teachers to predict you higher marks and make your plea believable - or get As and reapply
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (155)
14.53%
I'm not sure (46)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (317)
29.71%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (519)
48.64%

Watched Threads