Memory - Baddeleys research quick question Watch

toniator23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
His the one that did the word lists on four groups for research into coding and found groups performed worse on acoustically similar words in short term memory and semantically similar words in long term memory.

So how does this mean words are coded acoustically in short term memory and semantically in long term memory

Unless ive got it wrong which i dont think i hav it makes no sense that if words are acoustically similar and groups perfomed worse when recalling these word lists in short term then how can this suggest words in short term are coded acoustically if ppl do worse then surely it means its not coded acoustically as there not recalling these words
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
toniator23
Rep:
?
Name:  image-8f079ec0-9439-4fca-9ff3-4646a2bcafe57990507876299573670-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  83.6 KB
toniator23
Rep:
?
Tht doesnt make sense right?
katunaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I didn't get it at first, but my teacher said it's because it causes the most interference (as acoustically similar words for STM has the lowest %)
toniator23
Rep:
?
So participants performed worse, so had bad short term recall of acoustically similar words because they interfered too much with there stm memory suggesting stm is encoded acoustically. Thts kinda confusing but ill just remember as long its correct
KSaRa
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by toniator23)
His the one that did the word lists on four groups for research into coding and found groups performed worse on acoustically similar words in short term memory and semantically similar words in long term memory.

So how does this mean words are coded acoustically in short term memory and semantically in long term memory

Unless ive got it wrong which i dont think i hav it makes no sense that if words are acoustically similar and groups perfomed worse when recalling these word lists in short term then how can this suggest words in short term are coded acoustically if ppl do worse then surely it means its not coded acoustically as there not recalling these words
This is because the acoustic similarity of the words confuse the STM when it is trying to encode information which shows that the STM does store information acoustically.
Again similarly with the LTM, since it encodes information semantically, it gets confused with words that have the same meaning, thereby finding it difficult to encode all the words and resulting in poor recalling.
This is the conclusion Baddeley drew.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.89%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.44%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (94)
17.84%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (77)
14.61%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.25%
How can I be the best version of myself? (158)
29.98%

Watched Threads