Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have a question. Why does the reputation of a uni matter? You sit the exact same exam and study the exact same material, does it really matter to an emplyer and why?

I ask this because I got a conditonal for the study of law at a new university, there fore apparently not very respectable. However, I also got an offer from a more established uni to study business law and management science. Adivce?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Absoloutly.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, Russell Group and the like universities will always look better on your CV than old polys.

ReputationRep:
    yes but why? You study the same thing and sit the same exam?

What do you think I should do then study law at a less known scottish uni (Glasgow Caledonian) or business law and management science at strathclyde uni

ReputationRep:
    This is why.

Better reputation = More popular

More popular = More competition

More competition = Higher entry standards (i.e harder to get in)

Thus, a university with a good rep works as a pre-filter for employers. Although not in all cases, going to a good uni implies good calibre, whereas a poorer uni implies less calibre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bamboozled123)
    yes but why? You study the same thing and sit the same exam?

What do you think I should do then study law at a less known scottish uni (Glasgow Caledonian) or business law and management science at strathclyde uni
    I think you should go for whichever one you prefer. The assumption that it's better to have the same degree from one uni than it is to have it from another is ludicrous, but it's out there. However, that shouldn't make the decision for you.

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't sit the same exam- it's not like A Levels or GCSEs where you have the same boards. Exams are created by the Uni (or something like that).

ReputationRep:
    Darkhadou's got it right.

Anyway, are you really saying that for example, a law degree from Oxford would be just as good as a law degree from Oxford Brookes?

(Original post by Victor See)
    Darkhadou's got it right.

Anyway, are you really saying that for example, a law degree from Oxford would be just as good as a law degree from Oxford Brookes?
    The comparison he was asking for is nothing like that. More like Law at Ox. Brookes or a Management related course at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that the reputation of the university you go to is important. Especially so for a career path as a solicitor or barrister. It is because when it comes to employment, specifically in the competitive city firms, they do take into consideration which university you have graduated from. But, obviously this isn't the sole factor they use. It is only a means for them to perhaps whittle down the large number of applicants. Ultimately, it comes down to the individual and the traits and abilities that he/she displays during the selection process.

And as mentioned above, the examination papers are usually set by the universities themselves. They aren't like the GCSEs and A'Levels where it is the same nationally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkhadou)
    No, you don't sit the same exam- it's not like A Levels or GCSEs where you have the same boards. Exams are created by the Uni (or something like that).
    Exactly- otherwise Oxbridge law students would have the same workload and exams as law students everywhere else. From reading posts on here from exhausted, pissed off oxbridge students, it appears workloads are not exactly consistent across the universities! :p:

ReputationRep:
    :dito: Although superficially it can appear that the material covered and exams are similar in reality I think there is quite a lot of variance in terms of difficulty.

Certain employers do target certain universities and therefore this is obviously an advantage when it comes to actually getting a training contract with a top law firm.

ReputationRep:
    You lot know nothing - exams are all externally assessed so that they are all comparable i.e. a 2:1 from university X is the same as a 2:1 from university Y. The only reason the people on this thread would say otherwise is because they want to believe that a 2:2 from Oxford shows more intelligence than someone who has a 2:1 from Oxford Brookes because they're going to graduate with a 2:2 from a 'red brick' and are trying to make themselves feel better.

How can university reputation be taken into account when a firm specifies that they need at least a 2:1 from a candidate - a 2:2 from Oxford won't be better than a 2:1 from Oxford Brookes in those circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariad)
    You lot know nothing - exams are all externally assessed so that they are all comparable i.e. a 2:1 from university X is the same as a 2:1 from university Y. The only reason the people on this thread would say otherwise is because they want to believe that a 2:2 from Oxford shows more intelligence than someone who has a 2:1 from Oxford Brookes because they're going to graduate with a 2:2 from a 'red brick' and are trying to make themselves feel better.

How can university reputation be taken into account when a firm specifies that they need at least a 2:1 from a candidate - a 2:2 from Oxford won't be better than a 2:1 from Oxford Brookes in those circumstances.
    Complete rubbish. I don't even know where to start.

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, but apparently a first from Oxbridge is the same as a first from Plymouth. There's an external body which regulates this. It would explain why Oxbridge students receive approx 80% 2.1s or higher compared to considerably lower at new polys

ReputationRep:
    You lot know nothing - exams are all externally assessed so that they are all comparable i.e. a 2:1 from university X is the same as a 2:1 from university Y.
    I knew that. Obviously, the university itself cannot assess their own students papers. Otherwise, they would give everyone firsts as a ploy to rise in the league tables or something.
    The only reason the people on this thread would say otherwise is because they want to believe that a 2:2 from Oxford shows more intelligence than someone who has a 2:1 from Oxford Brookes because they're going to graduate with a 2:2 from a 'red brick' and are trying to make themselves feel better.

I don't know where to begin, but I have to disagree. It is simply not true.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if oxbridge is harder or not, because I've only studied here and nowhere else. It appears that we have to look more in depth into cases, and our course (BA) is more theoretical than the LLB, but I'd say the degree you come out with is roughly the same. However, I am not an examiner so I don't really know

I'm one of the people who did go for reputation- the course I am doing here isn't ideal because I wanted to do law and spanish. However, I want to be a barrister, and having spoken to people from various chambers and all four inns of court, a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is viewed more highly than one from other institutions (probably the lower ranking universities such as Paisley). In a competitive field you need everything you can find to make you stand out or to put you that little higher above the rest. Artificial as it is, your university's reputation is one of the ways to do that. However, it is not the only way. Get involved in lots of things like mooting, debate and so forth, and those things will work in your favour. Reputation of the university is a factor, but it isn't a decisive one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I don't know if oxbridge is harder or not, because I've only studied here and nowhere else. It appears that we have to look more in depth into cases, and our course (BA) is more theoretical than the LLB, but I'd say the degree you come out with is roughly the same. However, I am not an examiner so I don't really know

I'm one of the people who did go for reputation- the course I am doing here isn't ideal because I wanted to do law and spanish. However, I want to be a barrister, and having spoken to people from various chambers and all four inns of court, a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is viewed more highly than one from other institutions (probably the lower ranking universities such as Paisley). In a competitive field you need everything you can find to make you stand out or to put you that little higher above the rest. Artificial as it is, your university's reputation is one of the ways to do that. However, it is not the only way. Get involved in lots of things like mooting, debate and so forth, and those things will work in your favour. Reputation of the university is a factor, but it isn't a decisive one.
    On a sidenote, having seen so many llamas everyday in your signature, has made me think they are such fuzzy, warm creatures.

And thank you for reiterating my point. In a competitive field such as law, unfortunately university reputation does play a part. It isn't the decisive one. But it matters usually.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Reputation never really mattered to me. I'm a straight distinction student and could apply to universities with much better reputations than the ones I applied for but I didn't.

The reason why I didn't was because in reality, there were more important factors than reputation. The courses for one were a major factor but staying closer to my partner was a big thing too. I knew that I could go to a better uni and be so miserable that I'd drop off the course. Or I'd be so bored to death by what I was being taught. Choosing a course at a university with a lesser reputation should not make you feel useless - it just means that you've weighed up everything and gone with the best choice for you.

And there's always postgraduate courses at uni's with better reputations to take after Or even getting experience while at uni to make up for the gap.

ReputationRep:
    honestly the uni's you mentioned are about the same in rep i would choose the course you like best did you apply to glasgow?if you did then id go there if you like it i thought it was too big thats why i turned it down

im guessing you want to stay in glasgow? but aberdeen is very good for law its my insurance so it better be!

not alot between glasgow caledonian and strathclyde uni just get the best degree you can a first is amazing from anywhere

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 26, 2010

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.