?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Why is the energy of a photon independent of its intensity? 😄
Webhawk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Intensity of a light/ E.M. radiation source relates to the number of photons per second per unit area it emitts.The energy of a photon is dictated by the electromagnetic interaction which produced it.Photons themselves do not have an intensity. Hope this helps!
Freedom physics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
How do photons not have their own intensities? I thought they were packets out energy and thus had the properties of waves 🙂
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Freedom physics)
How do photons not have their own intensities? I thought they were packets out energy and thus had the properties of waves 🙂
And they also have the properties of particles. The intensity is the rate of emission of photons from a source, so a photon by itself doesn't have intensity in the same way that a single electron doesn't.
Freedom physics
Rep:
?
So don't photons have their own amplitudes?
Presto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So don't photons have their own amplitudes?
Why do you think that? How can that be?
Freedom physics
Rep:
?
Photons have their own frequencies 🙂
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Photons have their own frequencies 🙂
I know that they have their own frequencies and wavelengths but what does that have anything to do with amplitude? If they do have amplitude, how can the amplitude be represented and are there any equations/graphs related to their amplitude?
Freedom physics
Rep:
?
Photons are light waves, light waves are transverse waves and they have amplitude so photons have amplitudes 🙂, I had to refer to a friend lol 😄
username3472470
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Photons are light waves, light waves are transverse waves and they have amplitude so photons have amplitudes 🙂, I had to refer to a friend lol 😄
You’re getting confused. A light can act as a photon which is a particle and the evidence is provided by the photoelectric effect. It can also act as a wave and the evidence of this is provided by interference of light waves.
Freedom physics
Rep:
?
How does that mean photons don't have amplitude? 🙂
username3472470
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How does that mean photons don't have amplitude? 🙂

You need to think of a photon as a particle and treat it separately from a light wave.
Presto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A photon is a discrete packet of EM radiation but in layman's terms it's a particle that carries light so it behaves both as a particle and a wave. A photon itself isn't a light wave, it's a carrier so lots of photons make light a photon itself isn't light wave I believe
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
E = hf

Do you see Intensity in the equation?

/thread
Freedom physics
Rep:
?
Thank you! 😄
-andromeda-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OP i know your question seems to have been answered but if it helps, the way i got around this was understanding that the intensity of a photon-emitting source controls the rate of photons emitted, not their energy.

for instance, with low intensity you get less photons emitted per second. they all still have the same energy and frequency, but there are just less of them per second.
Freedom physics
Rep:
?
Thanks! Can you also explain: intensity is directly proportional to amplitude squared with that? 😄 🙂
-andromeda-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks! Can you also explain: intensity is directly proportional to amplitude squared with that? 😄 🙂
this is a little tricky to explain without a diagram but i’ll try my best!

draw a displacement time graph for two waves. one has double the amplitude of the other. measure their gradients at the rest position and you should find the double amplitude wave has double the normal wave's gradient. since on a displacement time graph gradient equals velocity, the double amplitude wave has double velocity of the other wave.

intensity = power/area = energy/time / area.

kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x VELOCITY SQUARED.

so intensity equals (1/2 x mass x velocity squared)/(area x time) from these equations.

as the velocity of the double amplitude wave is double, the velocity squared will be four times as big. therefore intensity will be four times as big.

intensity = 4x big, amplitude = 2x big so intensity is proportional to amplitude squared. hope this helps!
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by -andromeda-)
this is a little tricky to explain without a diagram but i’ll try my best!

draw a displacement time graph for two waves. one has double the amplitude of the other. measure their gradients at the rest position and you should find the double amplitude wave has double the normal wave's gradient. since on a displacement time graph gradient equals velocity, the double amplitude wave has double velocity of the other wave.

intensity = power/area = energy/time / area.

kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x VELOCITY SQUARED.

so intensity equals (1/2 x mass x velocity squared)/(area x time) from these equations.

as the velocity of the double amplitude wave is double, the velocity squared will be four times as big. therefore intensity will be four times as big.

intensity = 4x big, amplitude = 2x big so intensity is proportional to amplitude squared. hope this helps!
I really admire your bravery

IMO, your explanation "could be a flaw". I don't you are taught of waves having mass, so I don't really understand how you can apply KE = 1/2*m*v2 to wave intensity. Salute!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (255)
43.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise