Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Waves - Sonometer Experiment Question - simple Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, in the experiment i did i had to vary the length of the wire and locate the fundamental frequency. after doing that i had to Plot L against 1/f1 f1 being fundamental freq, and L being length of wire...

what does this graph represent its gradient, its intercepts..

any help would be greatly appreciated

vthenry

ReputationRep:
    ok the equation relating fundamental frequency of a transverse wave on a string is
    $f_0=\frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{  \rho}}
    which rearranges to
    $l=\frac{1}{2f_0}\sqrt{\frac{T}{  \rho}}
    where T is the tension in the string, l is the length of the string and \rho is the mass per unit length of the string.
    you should be able to find a derivation of this in an alevel physics text. (well it is in mine, but then again I am using a book from the 1980's !)

your graph should therefore be a straight line through the origin with a gradient of $\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\rho}  }

ReputationRep:
    Blimey - I thought sonometers went out with the ark.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, really appreciate it

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.